• Bob Dack
    2ohsegqj536ke45r.jpg

The video is erratic, sprinkled with four-letter expletives and captured while a lush Pink Floyd tune is playing in the background.

Amid many distractions, there are glimpses in the smartphone-captured movie of something definitively long and dark making its way across Okanagan Lake.

You wouldn't be blamed for spotting a few red flags in David Halbauer's video of an alleged Ogopogo sighting that was taken in West Kelowna last week.

Yet there is much to be told in this story about what Halbauer and his brother Keith saw at the water's edge near Bear Creek Provincial Park last Friday.

There are compelling hints at the existence of the Okanagan's legendary lake monster.

"When you're sitting on the beach on a sunny day, you don't expect to see a dinosaur coming out of the water," Kelowna's David Halbauer told Global News. "We were all just stunned."

A long and dark snake-like creature emerged from the water about 100 metres offshore, Halbauer said.

"I don't think I could put my arms around it," he said of the creature’s diameter.

"It rolled up and down as it went in the water. Another lump of the same thing came up about five metres in front of it."

He hastily grabbed his cellphone and tried to capture the amazing sight in front of him on video, but said a glare made it impossible to see exactly what he was recording.

READ MORE: UPDATE: Possible Ogopogo video catches the eye of international media

Halbauer's wife remained seated on a folding chair behind him and only captured video of his back, he said.

"I don't know what it was," his brother Keith, visiting from Edmonton with his wife, said. "But then I saw waves behind it. The rest of the lake was calm. So, it's pretty neat."

It was about 15 metres or 50 feet long, the men told Global News on Tuesday night.

In the video, Halbauer can be heard describing it as 40 feet long.

As with any tall tale, sometimes people can be forgiven for slightly exaggerating as they repeat their story numerous times.

Halbauer admitted that he's been stopping people in the grocery store to tell them what he saw.

"Like a dinosaur," Halbauer said. "It was like a giant snake."

READ MORE: Local author plunges into depths about Okanagan Lake

The sighting, they said, lasted about two minutes and ended when the creature submerged under a nearby log boom.

"The waves came in about 10 seconds later," he said.

Whether it was truly the sighting of the legendary lake monster -- or just a rogue wave, as science has shown in other sightings -- their experience proves one thing: Ogopogo may be elusive, but the legend is very much still alive for those who want to believe.
  • Syvynn
    That's because it's a radio observatory quiet zone.
  • Bob Dack
    Click on Link below:-

http://www.chonday.com/Videos /the-writer-automaton

This is amazing ....
    makes one wonder what other historical wonders there are of which we do not yet know off

The Swiss have some genius mechanical engineers and craftsmen.

A 248-year-old doll; you have never seen anything like this before.
    Truly Amazing... Watch the doll's eyes as he writes with a pen on the paper.
    Yes, it is 248 years old.
    This video will fascinate just about all the engineers, artists, clock makers, doll makers, computer programmers, want-to-be inventors or basically anyone out there that likes to tinker.
    This is far more than tinkering. When you view this, think computers. and remember, this was built in the 1770's.
  • Bob Dack
    Looking at the Constellation of Orion from Easter Island.

p7mskuorxqeoynk1.jpg
  • Paulgro
    That I did know about the statues.
  • Bob Dack
    One of the world's strangest sports sees participants compete to make the most convincing Bigfoot call.
    ESPN is well known for its global sports coverage, however this particular event - which took place in Whitehall, New York recently - has got to be a contender for most bizarre of them all.

The town itself is certainly no stranger to reports of Sasquatch with several police officers having seen or heard something unusual in the area over the last few decades.

Retired officer Brian Gosselin had a particularly memorable encounter with the creature one night in 1976 when he cast his spotlight on a large, hulking beast which stood around 8ft tall, had long limbs similar to those of an orangutan and a set of piercing red eyes.

After a few seconds the creature let out an immense roar of intense volume before stomping off in to the undergrowth, emitting additional loud roars as it went.

Fast-forward 40 years and now Whitehall's annual Sasquatch calling competition is giving Bigfoot fans the opportunity to emulate the sound Gosselin heard that night for the chance to win a cash prize.

As the video below shows, however, making such a sound is not quite as easy as it seems.

• Paulgro
    Why not? They have pig calling contests!
  • Bob Dack
    Found Photo at Earth Pacific Rim of Fire at work again on Hawaiian Big Island

mrukeg9c0wi6dzfm.jpg
  • Paulgro
    At this rate, Hawaii will be part of California if those volcanoes don't stop.
  • Bob Dack
    bg7o2e1jbycyp3jn.jpg

The pumpkin spice craze can now add Spam to
    the list of things featuring the Fall flavor.
    How do you feel about this Twist.
  • Donna
    Pumpkin Spice Spam???!!! Y-u-c-k!!!
  • Paulgro
    That is not a way to bring back Spam.
  • Bob Dack

Only one way to find out ... find it, buy it ,try it???
  • Paulgro
    NOooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Donna
    Ok, but you and go first!
  • Paulgro
    I'll say the same thing to you, NOoooooooooooooooo
  • Bob Dack

See I wasn't makin this up? (lol)

sbijvz7oe6e0kdss.jpeg
  • Paulgro
    No body thought you were. Many strange food is being made lately.
  • Donna
    Only thing this stuff has going for it is that it is Limited Edition.
  • Sacha
    YUK !
  • Paulgro
    Amen to that and that!!
  • Nat M

We do have Spam in Australia but got no idea who even buys it........not in my trolley
  • Paulgro
    Spam goes back years ago and they are trying to bring it back now. I had it when I was a kid but that was a long time ago.
  • cjsenour
    I like Spam although it is a little salty. I buy Lite Spam which isn't so salty. I fry it and put cheddar cheese on it. Sometimes I make a sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes.
  • godseeconomy
    Had it decades ago. I disliked it.
  • Paulgro
    I think Spam got a bad wrap when they started calling junk mail Spam. When I was a kid my mother would fry it. I really can't remember what it tasted like.
  • sharonh
    I also had fried Spam growing up.
  • Nat M
    This is what we have of Spam
    Coles Supermarket i put up as it shows more varieties but noticed that our other major grocery store Woolworths it is on special this week half price

h1skbs7p0o5mtsqb.png
  • Emily Aspe
    indeed, spam evolved in different product lines
  • Bob Dack

Trust me if this was the Zombie Apocalypse it would be the one safe meat to eat? ...(lol)
  • godseeconomy
    I only ever had the ham/pork variety. I viewd it as reconstitued pork.
  • Nat M

That is the only one i knew of until i saw the others
  • Paulgro
    There is so much talk about Spam that I bought a can today. Spam with real bacon. I haven't tried it yet but will give a report when I do.
  • Bob Dack
    2zj7n1rq6727mgqw.jpg
    ts92lrtf3ei13dac.jpg
    A team of Canadian Ph.D students discovered an ancient village that dates back to before the era of the pyramids.

CTV reports that a team of students from the University of Victoria’s archeology department have uncovered the oldest settlement in North America. This ancient village was discovered when researchers were searching Triquet Island, an island located about 300 miles north of Victoria, British Columbia.

The team found ancient fish hooks and spears, as well as tools for making fires. However, they really hit the jackpot when they found an ancient cooking hearth, from which they were able to obtain flakes of charcoal burnt by prehistoric Canadians.
    Using carbon dating on the charcoal flakes, the researchers were able to determine that the settlement dates back 14,000 years ago, making it significantly older than the pyramids of Ancient Egypt, which were built about 4,700 years ago.

To understand how old that truly is, one has to consider that the ancient ruler of Egypt, Cleopatra lived closer in time to you than she did to the creation of the pyramids. Even to what we consider ancient people, the Egyptian pyramids were quite old.

This newly discovered settlement dates back more than three times older than the pyramids.
    Alisha Gauvreau, a Ph.D student who helped discover this site said, “I remember when we got the dates back, and we just sat back and said, ‘Holy moly, this is old.'”

She and her team began investigating the area for ancient settlements after hearing the oral history of the indigenous Heiltsuk people, which told of a sliver of land that never froze during the last ice age.

William Housty, a member of the Heiltsuk First Nation, said, “To think about how these stories survived only to be supported by this archeological evidence is just amazing.”

“This find is very important because it reaffirms a lot of the history that our people have been talking about for thousands of years.”
    Researchers believe that this settlement indicates a mass human migration down the coast of British Columbia.

“What this is doing, is changing our idea of the way in which North America was first peopled, said Gauvreau.”

The students hope to continue to search nearby islands for more evidence of this migration.

vgwc1kvk814cicg1.jpeg
  • godseeconomy
    Wonder of wonders does not cease. What preservations.
  • godseeconomy
    Wonder if they are sweet. Today, we were give 2 giant sized tomatoes. Our friend, whio is really green-fingered, said they are very sweet!. One alone was bigger than a big man's palm. We haven't eaten either yet. Then, there are the pears!!! We have been well blessed.
  • Bob Dack

This produce market which isn't here anymore where I used to go used to sell these giant oranges which were the very largest I've ever seen and They were so sweet,Boy I miss that place as I have never found giant oranges that good to this day?
  • Bob Dack
    Robot pole dancers to debut at French nightclub

528y023jvn3redpg.jpg
    Robots and artificial intelligence has long been touted as a replacement for humans carrying out jobs around the world.

However, robots are rarely thought of as pole dancers in nightclubs - but that is exactly what is happening in Nantes.

Two robot dancers, wearing high heels and topped with a CCTV camera for a head, will debut at the SC-Club in the French city to celebrate its fifth anniversary next week.

The bots were the brainchild of British artist Giles Walker, who has overlaid their metal bodies with parts from plastic mannequins.
    Sponsored Video
    See More
    Sponsored by habitat.org

Referring to their CCTV camera heads, he said the robots aimed to "play with the notion of voyeurism", posing the question of "who has the power between the voyeur and the observed person".

He came up with the concept a decade ago, and has toured and loaned out the robots over the past few years.

Despite the rise of robot work forces, club owner Laurent Roue said the new members of staff will not replace the 10 human dancers who currently perform there, instead saying it was a way of honouring the technology.
    He said: "For us, it's a wink, a homage in a way to robotics.

"We need something human, warmth, physical contact, and this is really putting together opposites."

He added: "To each his own."

A dancer at the club known as Lexi agreed that the future is human at the venue, saying: "They won't really change our sector. They won't replace us.

"We're not in a vulgar job. It's an artistic job. It's something that's beautiful, and robots won't change that."
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.