• Paulgro
    I was stationed in Las Vegas which is a little cooler then here but not by much. My wifes parents retired here and we took the house over when they passed away. We sold the house in NJ after I retired and moved here in 2005.
  • Syvynn
    When we're old enough to "retire" we're going north LOL.
  • Paulgro
    Funny how people in the south move north and people in the north move south!!
  • Syvynn
    I'm tired of the heat and the flat dull landscapes.
  • Paulgro
    I was tired of the snow and mountains!!! Everyone needs a change.
  • Syvynn
    Yes, exactly! :)
  • frances turkel
    [Bobby Drye When I lived in Indiana I always had veg' garden a full lot of land and I loved planting all kinds of stuff and I'd cook for all the bars during the winter months....Your so lucky i hope everything works out for you
  • mikeee
    carrots, beets, and lettuce are now planted!
  • chicks
    Yours sounds bountiful.
    I've got 4 tomato plants, 2 jalapeno, asparagus green beans and a basil plant. I want to expand on mine but I'm doing concrete raised bed. I add a little more each year.
  • Syvynn
    Had a fire behind my house today. Wish that rain some of you had could visit me.
  • Paulgro
    Fire is bad news. We might finally get a little rain Monday night or Tuesday.
  • Wizard8072
    Muscadines also make a good home made wine - bit tart and strong - but pretty good :-)
  • chicks
    I hope all is under control with the fire.
  • Syvynn
    Yes luckily the firemen got to it in time. So it just burnt forest and no houses.
  • sascha
    Muscadines do make good wine. I make m own. I prefer to make a combination of plum and cherry.
  • Bobby Drye
    my step dad years ago made some and worked it over 3 times. it would knock you on your hiney!!!!
  • Bobby Drye
    I made my own raised beds, 2 4x4 and 3 20x6 for my melons, strawberries and onions and garlic. they work fantastic! happy good gardening to ya.
  • Bobby Drye
    praying for yall.
  • Admin
    Good to see so many discussion on the topic, it feels good to share our experiences and thoughts on the various hobbies and thoughts :)
  • J Zerbs
    @chicks @Bobby Drye I also used raised beds, it works much better for me considering my yard sometimes floods.
  • Bobby Drye
    any of you ever heard of a cucumber called "Large Asian"? I don't know the real name for them. these get to almost the size of a football. you would think it would be real seedy and tough. but ill tell ya, these are some great tasting cucumbers. tender and you can forget about any seedy problems. I thought they were some kind of melon when this sweet Asian lady gave me a couple of them. really, really surprised.
  • Syvynn
    I think I read about them being crossed with melons or something. I remember looking it up a few years ago, well not Asian ones, but I looked up "why does my cucumber taste like watermelon sometimes." Or maybe it was Mexican and not Asian. I can't remember. Did this Asian one have a melon flavor? Those are my favorite, when they have that melon taste to them. I still salt and pepper them even though their sweet. My family thinks I'm weird, I salt apples and watermelon too.
  • Bobby Drye
    sounds tasty to me and around these parts(N.C.) almost everyone salt & peppers their melons. no, these are not sweet. they are cucumbers, but they are just huge!
  • Syvynn
    My hubby's family was originally from Ohio (both his parents moved from there to FL in their 20's - separately and then met here and married) so I tell him (because it's him and the daughter that think I'm nuts/gross/weird) it's because he isn't "real Southern" and her by association ;)

I can't imagine a "slice" from a cucumber that big! Ma'am would you like a salad with Cucumbers or would you just want "a" cucumber!
  • Bobby Drye
    lollollollollol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Catwoman
    I actually enlarged my vegetable garden to double it's size on May 1st after 13 years here at my home, that was alot of work by hand and shovel only especially with my medical problems, but haven't gotten to plant anything yet with this unusually cooler weather we are having, but I'm also having trouble with no sun in my yard anymore which use to be full of sun cause of the other neighbors weeds that have turned into trees on every side of my yard(that's 3-left, right and back of mine) the past so many years, so I don't think anything is gonna do well when I do plant it :( ..I love to plant my tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, green bell peppers and green beans atleast, but I know they love the sun and hadn't done well when I last planted them a few years back already cause of the shady yard now so I had given up and stopped planting the veggies which I really miss. :( ..if I could, I'd have a veggie garden all year long but winter ruins that here in PA..there's nothing better tasting to me and my kids then home grown veggies and saves a lot of money too, or in our case, lets us actually get to eat veggies more often cause otherwise we can't usually afford them too much.
    I did on the other hand plant some VERY VERY OLD flower seeds which includes sunflower, marigolds and cut and come again zinnias(I'm talking from 1995 & 1996 that I have kept all these years and showing my age..lol) hoping to see if they will come up at all..we'll see..I do see a couple little green sprouts coming up where I planted them but not sure if it's them or weeds yet(my yard is good for weeds coming back for sure..lol), I'll let ya's know if they bloom..I have hope-wish me luck!! :)
  • Catwoman
    ..hope the fire didn't do any damage to your home or yard..u could gladly have this rain we are having here today if I could send it to u!!!
  • Catwoman
    ..I never heard of a Large Asian cucumber but I love cucumbers and especially big ones with hardly any seeds..do u live near PA so I know if I can find something like that here?? ..by the way, that sounds like a very nice big wonderful garden u have!!! :)
  • J Zerbs
    A lot of people put salt on watermelon, ground chile powder (not chili), salt and lime zest and or juice is a combo that is good. Grilled watermelon (pineapple too) is good, heard of putting Feta cheese and balsamic vinegar on it but have never tried it.
  • Catwoman
    ..sorry I'm lagging and just noticed u said u are from N.C. area, but that's far enough from me that I probably can't get a large Asian cucumber around here :(
  • Bobby Drye
    happy and good planting ya gal!
  • Bobby Drye
    well, if you trusted me, id send ya some in the mail. ive got plenty of seeds.
  • Bobby Drye
    I don't know about that. these are hardy plants
  • Bobby Drye
    ill try and get some pics for yall soon.
  • Catwoman
    ..thank u..I love to garden..just enjoy it so much and love to look at what I can accomplish when it's done..I been gardening probably since I was like 13-14 years old, that's a good 41-42 years..lol, but I rather garden then do housework, I swear..lol
  • Catwoman
    ..oh I got seeds, lots of them-all kinds..they're just over 20 years old is the problem..money is so tight that I try to use the seeds for as long as I can and they will grow-I don't have the heart to trash them knowing they might turn into a cucumber, tomato, ect or some kind of flower plant..lol
  • Catwoman
    ..oh pictures will be nice to see, thanks-can't wait
  • Catwoman
    ..not everything expires like or when they say it does, so a lot of stuff is wasted when it really doesn't have to be, so that's how I think about it..I mean, why does hand sanitizer have an expiration date or paper plates? ..are they just gonna stop working or fall apart after the date? ..not usually..lol , so who is to say when the seed might really stop growing-not me for sure..lol
  • mikeee
    I am watering mine.
    Some stuff is coming up now!
    I think it's the lettuce,
  • Fastcab
    I like the idea of having a garden, but have never had much luck with one. If fact, I have been informed by the National Botanical Society of America that I not allowed to plant, feed, water or even look at any plant, bush, tree or even at a blade of grass. The penalty for said infractions is too horrifying to even think about.
  • Oldschool
    Hey Cat I live in PA too and did not plant anything yet.50 degrees today and frost a couple nights last week.Very cold spring.All the cherry blossom trees lost their color and blossons from the cold and wind.Middle of next week looks like a go.Finally :-O
  • Catwoman
    ..hey Bob, did it really even get to 50 today? ..I'm freezing and I just turned my heat back on for the night..lol ..I can't take it anymore-I hate the cold..where in PA are u may I ask? ..I'm in Delaware co. closer to Phila..I know it's sad about the pretty cherry blossoms from this cold weather and wind..I hear middle of next week looks good too, but too hot too fast actually, although I rather it be hot then cold :) Donna
  • Mitzi drye
    ill tell you, he does have a green thumb.
  • Syvynn
    No damage. It's been days, it rekindled itself once and now the forestry division is watching the area on daily patrols. Had a water tanker leaving out of there yesterday.

The West Mim's fire is the big one. Like 160,000 acres burnt in South GA, threatening our friends homes in West Nassau here in Florida.

We would love all your rain!!

It's usually a southern thing. Like Sweet Tea ;)

You have a thumb of death?
  • Donna
    My thumb is kinda like that too...brown at best. :/
  • frances turkel
    "]Mitzi drye i HAVE BLACK THUMB ITS REALLY AWFUL!!
  • Bobby Drye
    I got to go out and water my babies before I go to church later on. right now 99.9 % of everything is looking great! I got a gardening tip for those of you might not know. this will save several dollars on ne tomato or pepper plants. you know what the "suckers" are on tomato plants are, right. let several from your different plants get 2 to 3 inches long, put them in a very light solution of miracle gro /water and put them in small containers, separated in different ones of course to keep the varieties from getting mixed up. I usually cut off the bottom of a water or soda drink bottle. put them in full sunlight and wait til the roots start appearing on them pretty good and then plant. you can get a multitude of other plants off just 1 tomato plant this way. the miracle gro solution is 1 tablespoon per gallon of water.
    now if have ever had a hot/sweet pepper plant had a stem break or the like, you take that stem and do the same thing or you can take that broken stem and put in a small planting pot. keep it watered really good and it will grow on up.
    hope this help some of you.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.