• Admin
    A person can live without food for about a month, but only about a week without water.
    If the amount of water in your body is reduced by just 1%, you'll feel thirsty.
    If it's reduced by 10%, you'll die.

3y3e0mz2486g45z8.jpg
  • J Zerbs
    And that depends on the environment you're in, if your in a extreme environment it could be much less. A saying I remember is the rule of 3 - In any extreme situation you cannot survive for more than:
    3 minutes without air - 3 hours without shelter - 3 days without water - 3 weeks without food.
  • Admin
    Thanks for addition of the information.. Have a good day :)
  • J Zerbs
    Your welcome and like I said it's just something I heard before. I'd imagine it'd have to be a very extreme situation for someone to die after only 3 hours without shelter. A very cold environment for example.
  • Admin
    Yes it may in sahara dessert, where temperature reaches 50C, survival will become diffcult without shelter int his extreme climate.
  • sascha
    You would be correct. It's common for the kidneys and liver to go into failure after the third day. 8 years ago, I spent 6 weeks in the desert of Arizona,where the heat reached temps of over 124 degrees. I spent most of the time without shelter. I was caught in a major dust storm, that lasted for several hours. I spent 3 days in an Indian sweat lodge. During the 4th week in the desert I developed a lung infection and kidney infection. When I came back home the doctors discovered I had silica grit in my lungs from having been in the desert for so long.
  • Paulgro
    I live in southern AZ so yes we can get that hot with an average of 110 to 120 in the summer. Not a good place to be without water and head covering.
  • Admin
    Thats a good add-on, Thanks :)
  • J Zerbs
    Their rule of 3 is more a way to remember your priorities if you're ever in a survival situation. First you should find or build shelter, then worry about water, then food. Not that I'm worried I'll ever find myself in such a situation but it's still a good thing to remember.

I've never had to deal with extreme heat but have had to be outside all day or night when it's 0 to -10 degrees with a wind chill of -40 to -50 (-40 to -45 Celsius).
  • Paulgro
    I use to work on the road department in northern NJ so I know all about being cold and wet in the winter. Neither heat or cold is a picnic for anyone.
  • J Zerbs
    Both stink, I'd say heat is worse because you can dress for the cold but there's really nothing you can do in extreme heat.
  • Paulgro
    May be true but I've found when you're cold and wet nothing gets you warm until you get home and out of those clothes. Yes here in the summer when it does get 110 and above it's even hard to breathe so it is worse.
  • J Zerbs
    They'll be days when it's 35-40 degrees windy and raining and I'd always say those days are worse then when it snows because you're wet and cold. Even worse is when it starts out as rain and then the temperature drops and it turns into snow. The roads and sidewalks get covered with a sheet of ice but there is a layer of snow over it so it can lead to a lot of accidents.
  • Paulgro
    Believe me I know. I worked the road department for 28 years in all types of weather. Black Ice is the worse because you can't see it.
  • J Zerbs
    I'm sure you had to deal with many cars sliding into poles or other cars and occasionally frost loading causing a water main to burst.
  • Paulgro
    We had a water department that had to deal with that. Yes not only people sliding into other cars but idiots speeding and passing sanders. What do they think we had sanders out for the fun of it? Because of all that I now live in AZ and if I really miss snow I can always drive 2 hours north to see it. I haven't yet!!
  • Admin
    That new information that you have water dept. just wonder is there works limited to winter, what they do during summers?
  • Paulgro
    Same thing during the summer. They read meters,make sure all the water pumps that pump water through the pipes are in working order and other types of things that require them to be there. It is an all year round job. There are also broken pipes in the summer so they don't just break in the winter. Like anything else the pipes and fittings wear out with age.
  • J Zerbs
    Where I live the water comes from Lake Michigan so they treat it to make it safe to drink. I see them replacing old mains before they have a issue all the time. They replaced one on my block last year so we didn't have water for 5-6 hours. Makes you realize how much we take for granted that when you turn your faucet on, flush your toliet, want to take a shower, etc. that there is water to do it.

They use salt where I live instead of sand and occasionally calcium chloride because the temperature will get so low salt no longer works. With the burst water mains I meant when one bursts and the road ends up covered with ice. Can't imagine I'd miss snow too much maybe in some ways but not when you car gets plowed in and you have to dig it out.
    14275.jpg
  • Admin
    Thats good info thanks for sharing. We did not know this before.
  • Donna
    I hear ya about taking water for granted! Have you ever been left standing in the shower full of soap and shampoo and had the water go off?!
  • frances turkel
    Donna Wow the same thing happened to me yesterday....I had to wait one hour till they fixed it
  • Donna
    Oh no! When it happened to me, I just used the hot water. Thank heavens the temperature of it was bearable!
  • J Zerbs
    No never happened to me, only time the water was turned off was the time I mentioned and they let us know in advance it'd be off a few hours that day so we could prepare ahead of time for it.
  • Paulgro
    Sorry, I missed this. Yes in NJ we do the same. We would start with sand and salt mix then all salt and when that would freeze the Calcium Chloride. Nothing like climbing on top of a snander in freezing weather knocking down the frozen sand and salt because in freezes on the snader grate and won't fall in. One guy slipped one night and tore his finger off. True story!
  • J Zerbs
    Hopefully they were able to find and reattach the finger in time.

When I was in 3rd grade there was cryptosporidium outbreak in the city's water supply, hundreds of thousands of people got sick from it and over 100 died. You'd have to boil the water before it was safe to drink.

http://www.waterandhealth.org/newsletter/old/03-01-1995.html

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199407213310304

http://archive.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/milwaukee-marks-20-years-since-cryptosporidium-outbreak-099dio5-201783191.html
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.