• Ashok Bhatia
    THAT IS SAMOSA???????
    cspwwobnfs41df12.jpg

WHEN EVER YOU COME TO INDIA YOU WILL FIND THIS SNACK EVERYWHERE IN STREET OR BIG SHOPS.
    TODAY I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE HOW TO MAKE THIS SNACK AT HOME ?

How to Make Samosas?
    A samosa is a common snack in countries such as India. It generally consists of a fried triangular pastry shell with a savory vegetarian filling made with potato, onion, coriander and green peas.

Ingredients
    2 cups all purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons oil or ghee
    1 cup water
    Vegetable oil, for frying

For the Filling

1 cup of boiled potato, cut into cubes
    1/2 cup of green peas, cooked
    1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
    2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    2 hot green chile peppers, minced
    1 teaspoon ground coriander-cumin seed
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    1/2 a teaspoon GARAM MASALA
    2 tablespoons oil
    Salt to taste

Preparation OF Dough
    Sieve the flour and salt together in a bowl. You can add a little more or less salt to taste if you desire.
    n0hhrg40hq3bptan.jpg

Add the ghee or oil. Mix it in with your fingers, working with a handful of flour at a time. Keep mixing until all of the flour is coated with fat and a dough has begun to form. It should still be quite dry and flaky.
    gfuyujzgvwl1b72i.jpg

Mix in 5 tablespoons of water. Use your finger to work the water into the dough to loosen it up. The consistency should be soft and pliable, but not wet. Add more water if necessary.
    kpfd83v5mvnzk4zl.jpg

Turn out the dough and KNEED IT Put the dough on a clean surface and knead it with your hands for about 4 minutes, until it is smooth and slightly shiny. Form it into the shape of a ball.

Rest the dough for 30 minutes. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest on the counter while you make the filling. This will help the dough achieve a better texture.

Filling
    Heat the ghee/OIL in a large saucepan. Place it over medium high heat and allow the ghee to get hot.
    a7m9h3achepttnq3.jpg

Toast the cumin seeds. Toasting the seeds brings out the best in their flavor and scent. Toast them until the room becomes fragrant and the seeds start to crackle, about 30 seconds.

3x8qieqpxmg7e5hw.jpg

Add the onion and ginger. Sauté them with the seeds for about five minutes, until the onion becomes translucent

j3ncjisi9i3w0646.jpg

Add the potatoes and peas. Stir the mixture gently and cook until the potatoes become dry, which should take about 3 minutes. Mix well and mash lightly.

od96ds29ys0iehrp.jpg

Assembling Samosas
    xym6ozy3nu6l50gf.jpg

Divide the dough into eight equal portions. You can use a measuring cup, but it's easier to just eyeball it.

Roll in each round into chapattis. A chapatti is a thin, flat circular bread or dough. In this case, each one should be about 6 inches (15.2 cm) in diameter. Use a rolling pin or press the chapattis into shape with your fingers.
    60sjgbvcgtstk4yp.jpg

Cut each chapatti into two halves. Use a knife to slice each one in half.
    jfmavd921sbjfa7v.jpg

Stuff and fold the samosas. Spoon 2 teaspoons of filling into the center of a piece of dough, then bring the edges together to form a cone shape. Seal the edges carefully using a little water. (You can also make paste using flour and water for easier sealing).
    Use your fingers to press the edges of each samosa into place.
    For a lovelier edge, you can use a fork to press the edges together

y1yh9ldnxdxxff0s.jpg

Repeat with the remaining chapattis and filling. As you finish filling each one, set it aside on a plate or a baking sheet.
    02r0vp5phxv6aos3.jpg

Heat the oil. Pour several inches of oil into a large dutch oven or a high-sided frying pan. Heat the oil until it reaches 350 °F (177 °C). Use a candy thermometer to test whether the oil is hot, or place a small piece of dough in the oil to see if it sizzles.
    4mh6k1ga85dhr33k.jpg

Fry the samosas. Place 3 to 4 samosas in the pot to fry. Deep fry them for about 10 minutes, until both sides are golden brown. Don't try to crowd the pot with too many at once, or they may fall apart instead of cooking properly.
    After each batch is finished frying, use a slotted spoon to move the finished samosas to a plate lined with paper towels to drain off the extra oil.
    Take care not to let them fry for too long, or the dough will become tough.

YOUR SAMOSA WILL BE READY TO EAT WITH ANY SWEET AND SPICE SAUCES

7xy717dxyjjiebxj.jpg
    Attachment
    SAMO6 (65K)
  • Crafty501
    I have never tried this, but it certainly looks delicious, Thanks for sharing it with us
  • Ashok Bhatia

THANK YOU CRAFTY IF U TRY I HOPE YOU WILL LOVE THIS SNACK:-|
  • Krystyna
    It looks yummy,thank you.
  • Ashok Bhatia

krystyna try at home. if you need any further assistance i am here.
    you are too far otherwise i can send this snack.
    thankx for comment.
  • sascha
    I have made those! I just make them without onions, because I am very allergic to onions. I
  • sascha
    Ashok Bhatia- I have a question, perhaps you are able to answer it? I cook Indian food at home but there is one thing I wish to make but do not know how...It is easy to make Paneer at home, right? The cheese is from curdled milk and lemon juice?
  • Krystyna
    I never heard of Paneer before so I went on youtube and checked few videos on how to make it and it seems it's easy process.I wonder how the cheese taste?Did you ever ate it?
  • charsocal
    - Ashok, this looks like something I would love to try. I am not familiar with GARAM MASALA, would you mind telling me what type of ingrediant is?
  • Ashok Bhatia

hi there
    hope you and your family will be fine.
    GARAM MASALA
    HOT MIXTURE OF SPICES
    Ingredients for Garam Masala. Star anise 1-2. Black cardamom 6. Black peppercorns 2 1/2 teaspoons. Cinnamon 10 1 inch stick. Cloves 1 tablespoon. Green cardamom 4 grams. Mace 1 blade. Coriander seeds 4 tablespoons.

YOU CAN BUY ONLINE REDAYMADE MIXTURE GARAM MASALA OR GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS I WILL SEND YOU THRU COURIER.

HOPE its clear.
  • Ashok Bhatia

its very easy sascha

Bring milk to boil.
    Add lemon juice or curd or vinegar and gently stir the milk.
    Immediately you can see the entire milk begins to curdle, switch off the flame. At this stage if your milk doesn't curdle, pour some more lemon juice immediately to curdle the milk. If you continue to cook at this stage, panir can be hard, so to prevent that you need to use a bowl full on ice cubes or ice cold water to stop it from getting cooked further.
    Allow it to settle for 1 min.
    Pour it in a thin cheese cloth.
    Rinse it under running water to remove the smell of the lemon juice. If using yogurt you can skip rinsing.
    Make a knot to the cheese cloth, squeeze any excess water and hang it for 30 mins to remove excess whey.
    Place muslin cloth on a plate with wholes, place a heavy object on it for the paneer to set. After 1 hour, Remove the cloth and cut it to cubes.

this may help you sascha
    if you need more plz let me know.
  • Ashok Bhatia

hi krystyna

paneer is almost like cheese
  • Krystyna
    Great tips you gave above regarding the paneer,thank you for that.I do like to try new things and those 2 recipes caught my attention;will try for sure,except I'm not much for too spicy food but in moderation and adjusting spices to my own liking,I can handle that.
  • Donna
    I would think you could, but I'm going to ask anyway - Can you bake these instead of frying, to keep calories down?
  • Ashok Bhatia
    of course you are right its call Baked Samosa. Baked samosa is in trend today and available at all leading big bakery store. But from historical time it was made as fried Samosa.
  • Ashok Bhatia

Hi donna .
    How Are You? Hope you will be fine.
    i am also very much worried about calories.
    of course you are right its call Baked Samosa. Baked samosa is in trend today and available at all leading big bakery store. But from historical time it was made as fried Samosa.
  • Ashok Bhatia

X-)
    i do not have much time but i have very much interest in cooking. Whenever i get free time i love to cook something new.
  • charsocal
    - Thank you for the information. Have you ever tried these at a restaurant? I looked up India restaurants in my area and I found 2 that have authentic India food ran by people of your culture. I saw them on the menu and pictures and looked very tasty as well. Very expensive though, 2 for $4.99. Maybe the are larger than what is pictured.
  • Ashok Bhatia

i tried at home . i cook myself .
    sorry charsocal i know about the place where i live . In USA,Canada,Australia etc indian food is available as per location cost. whereas i know lots of indian restaurant are cooking authentic indian food.
  • charsocal
    - Have you ever tried one in Streets or Big Shops? If so are they just as good as homemade?
  • J Zerbs
    thanks for sharing your recipe.
  • Ashok Bhatia

thanks for comment j zerbs
  • Ashok Bhatia

not 100% but when its home made by me its so delicious.
  • nipun
    Looks yummy. Thanks for recipe.
  • Ashok Bhatia

thanks nipun
    hope yo will try to cook this.
  • sascha
    Thank you very much for posting! I will definitely try this soon!
  • sascha
    Yes, my family likes paneer . We use it in different dishes. My family does not like tofu (bean curd). I make many different dishes from different countries. At least once a week, I have guests over and I always cook for them. I keep a list of everyone's allergies or other health concerns. I have never had any complaints yet. The only thing is, my family and friends love onions but I cannot even cook with them anymore. I cannot even walk near them in the market, because I may go into shock.
  • sascha
    Garlic is the only thing from the onion family that I am not allergic to. The doctors have said it's only a matter of time. I told them I'll be in serious trouble when that time comes, because I am always cooking with garlic.
  • godseeconomy
    With gastric problems, I now can't eat a lot of Indian food esp curries which I used to love.
  • Ashok Bhatia

but there is some remedies to avoid gastric problem we can bake this and in place potatoes we can use cheese.
    try this .
  • J Zerbs
    wouldn't cheese be more likely to cause gastric problems? Being allergic to potatoes is extremely rare and many have problems digesting dairy products.
  • Ashok Bhatia

you can make stuffing the veg/nonveg as u love to eat.
  • J Zerbs
    Are there any meat fillings that are popular in India or is it primarily vegetarian fillings?
  • charsocal
    - Wow, never heard of anyone being allergic to onions. So sorry you would actually go into shock. Hope it never happens to you!
  • charsocal
    - Not the best cook in my family, but hubby is. Hopefully one day we can try this at home. Darn my stomach is growling again looking at the pictures. Thats a good thing to say in the US,lol.
  • J Zerbs
    That stinks, how bad is your allergy? Will you have symptoms if you eat anything with onions in it like canned sauces, meats, broths, soups or are those okay?
  • sascha
    Nope, I cannot have anything at all with onions, leeks, or chives.I cannot even walk past them in the store. I risk anaphylaxis. I cannot even go near them if they are cooked or ground.
  • J Zerbs
    Sorry to hear that, I'd imagine you have to read labels to make sure what you're eating has no onions in it as many things like saletine crackers have some form of onion in them.
  • Paulgro
    With the potato filling it sounds like a Knish that they sell in New York City and any Jewish areas. There were stands selling these everywhere there. It was a four cornered like a pocket and the filling was in there and then sealed from cooking. If your pie is anything like that then it is very good!
  • sascha
    Yeppers, I have to read everything. I have other food allergies- tuna, lima beans, mango, aspartame, stevia, deer meat, quinine, spearmint, thyme,persimmons,and sheep products. I usually make things from scratch to avoid any problems.
  • sascha
    No, almost every sauce, soup, etc I make from scratch.
  • Donna
    I'm sorry to hear that also! My son is allergic to fish. Do all of the foods you are allergic to cause as severe a reaction as the onion/onion family allergy?
  • sascha
    Aspartame stops my heart. Deer meat sends me into shock, lima beans send me into shock, Quinine stops my heart, mango send me into shock, thyme lowers myheart rate and blood pressure to a barely detectable level. Stevia causes food poisoning-like vomiting. Tuna causes vomting and respiratory distress. Spearmint, persimmons, aloe cause swelling and chemical burns. Sheep products cause vomiting, respiratory distress, rashes, burning, and swelling. Allergies to sheep products, aspartame, and onions are progressive allergies and can become worse every time.
  • Admin
    Ashok that's incredible way to post the reciepe in such a detailed way. Looks so yummy.We will try at our home too :)
  • frances turkel
    Ashok Bhatia I found a place to buy some and their really light and very tasted thank you for sharing....
  • Rakesh Kumar Srivastava
    Yes, it is the one, i like the most.
  • frances turkel
    Sounds like potatoe pancakes
  • Catwoman
    ..looks and sounds good but I've never even heard of coriander-cumin seed, is that even available in the USA especially in Pennsylvania?? ..and if so, where would I find that in the store besides in the regular seasonings isle??? ..also, what does that even taste like?? ..is it a hot and spicy seed?? ..I don't really like hot and spicy if it is and what is GARAM MASALA, is that a spice too??
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.