• Crafty501
    We all need to do our part.
    We use Long-lasting light bulbs throughout our home. We recycle everything and have a good composting area in the back of our yard. We do not use harsh chemicals and prefer to use the old fashioned methods, like baking soda and/or vingegar. We take our own bags when shopping.
    We buy sustainable fish products, and while we haven't yet volunteered in community projects for cleanups, we take a bag with us when walking and pick up trash. We lower the temperature significantly at night and during the day keep the temperature of the house at 69 to 70 degrees. Every little bit helps
  • godseeconomy
    I recycle as much as I can. I compose garden waste. I haven't bought an envelop for more than 40 years. I use the envelops sent by junk mails, mail shots. I put a new label and write on it and new postage stamps. These days, post even less due to email capability. I recycle rain water for gardening, washing patio, garden furniture and flushing outside loo etc.
  • vivian alexander
    We all definitely need to do our part, and everything on here is simple to do,and if everyone would do even a couple of these recommendations it would make a big difference, but these days people are more concerned with easy way to do things instead of the best way, or the right way, not realizing they are making our planet worse for the next generation .
  • J Zerbs
    I do several of these things on the list and other things as well, bike instead of drive if where I'm going is a few miles or less away, recycle, compost, grow some of my own food in my garden and use collected rain water when I can to water it, use energy efficient light bulbs, bring my own bag when shopping, use sustainable seafood, keep the thermostat at 67-68 in the winter and in summer only use the AC on really hot days and when I do set the temperature to 76-78, as well as a few other things.
  • frances turkel
    Sounds like we all do our share of protecting the planet...As a teenager i used to clean parks on the weekends when school was out and during the summers
  • sascha
    Those long-lasting light bulbs cannot be discarded in household trash and put to the curb. They contain dangerous chemicals.
  • sascha
    My Dad raised me to always do my share for the environment. Waste water and runoff from my area does not wind up in the ocean. My husband works for the waste water treatment plant, which unfortunately is situated on one of the Great Lakes in the US.
  • sascha
    Energy efficient light bulbs also contain toxic chemicals and cannot be disposed of in the trash.One must also practice extreme caution in cleaning up the pieces and dust from an energy efficient light bulb should one break.
  • sascha
    White distilled vinegar and baking soda can be used for most cleaning projects. I also used them to clean the green mold from the trees that was on my wooden deck. You can clean minor drain clogs depending on projected location of the clog using baking soda and vinegar and it works also to keep a toilet free of clogs. It will not work on clogged sewer pipes.
  • Crafty501

No they can't. We have places that take these items as well as things like batteries. We pay an environmental fee on our purchases and the items get returned to the proper sources for disposal. They never get put in with everyday trash, not that we ever have much with all the recycling and composting we do.
  • godseeconomy
    citric acid great for removing lime scale in your kettle, teapot, stainless steel jugs or whatever if you live in hard water area. 1 teaspoon into the kettle, or whatever utensil you want to clean out, pour in hot water, leave overnight. empty and rinse out container next morning. Should give you a nice clean stainless steel kettle/pot/basin again.
  • frances turkel
    I used baking soda or peroxide to clean hard spots but you have to let it soak for a while I don't think I can stay too long not feeling that great catch all of you later thanks again
  • Crafty501

Hope you are feeling better soon. There are a lot of really nasty colds around at the moment. My husband who rarely gets sick, came down with a cold 9 days ago and still no signs of it easing up. My daughter came down with it at the same time (they had both been to the hockey game together) and she still has it as well. The rest of us are trying to keep our distance
  • godseeconomy
    Yes, bugs abound! I was well enough on Mon day time. By the evening I was sneezing so frequently. I'm still sneezing and getting yukky mucous with streaks of fresh blood from my nostrils each time they feel I needed to blow my nose. Don't know whether to go to the dr for some anitbiotics. It's not easy to get to see GP here. going to the Emergency dept is out for question as they are soooooo busy.
  • Patrick Raymond
    I recycle all plastic, paper products and compost food scraps and yard waste. These actions have reduced the amount of waste I throw out every week. In my city harmful chemicals e.t.c can be dropped off for safe disposal.
  • charsocal
    Plastic, aluminum, and paper products. Also have important papers, that I don't need to save shredded at local events. Chemicals, paint, etc.. can be picked up for free. No bike for me, hurts the knees. Guilty as charged by using plastic at stores, but at least they can go into the plastic bin. BTW, has anyone heard WalMart is going to start charging you 5 cents for every plastic bag you get at the checkout. Never did like WalMart and I don't think they are doing this for the planet. $$$$$$$$
  • sascha
    I clean many different things, including most of my cookware using baking soda and white vinegar.
  • godseeconomy
    We use whit vinegar for moulds when we spot them.
  • sascha
    Yes, generally it works well. I clean my oven using baking soda and vinegar. I don't like the self-clean mode n the oven and I have never used chemicals to clean an oven. I simply make a past out of baking soda and a bit of water and spread it around on the inside of the oven. Let it sit for 8-12 hours. Take a spray bottle and mix equal parts white vinegar and warm water and squirt onto the baking soda. Wipe off. Rinse with a damp rag and dry the oven. My hubby looked at me oddly the first time he saw me clean a coffee maker and the washing machine with just white vinegar. I also clean the dishwasher that way to keep it from building up any lime scale. Also , instead of using bleach on whites in laundry, I just use white vinegar. It also softens the fabric.
  • sascha
    I gave up using an electric lawn mower. I bought a cast iron push mower from The Vermont Country Store and could not be happier. Some of my neighbors and the mail carrier stopped and stared the first time they saw me use it. Some had never seen a reel mower before. I laughed.The mail carrier was fascinated and asked me if it was simple to use. I just smiled and beckoned for him to come closer and try it out. He was like a kid in a candy store with a pocket full of money. He went home and ordered one after work.
  • vivian alexander
    Sascha, I never knew you could use vinegar and baking soda on clogged toilets or clean mold with, I have used vinegar on coffee makers in the past, but first I heard about the other things, will definitely use next time I have a clogged toilet or need to clean something like mold or hard water items.
  • godseeconomy
    I will try white vinegar on clothes next time. So happy to knoe that it softens the clothes too. Killing 2 birds with one stone indeed. Do the clothes smell of vinegar?
  • sascha
    I use a top loading washing machine. For a large , full load I use 1 cup of white vinegar. The laundry does not smell like vinegar. My mother in-law has been using it on her family's whites for the past 50 years. Vinegar works like bleach. So don't put it on delicate fabrics or something with colors.
  • Donna
    Hope you're feeling better today! :)
  • Donna
    Hope you're feeling better! My family has been really fortunate this winter! My husband, daughter and son all shared a cold right before Christmas, and then thankfully everyone was healthy again for visiting at Christmas time. None of us have caught anything else since then. In fact, I'm trying to remember the last time I was sick. I think it's been more than a year. Now I've probably just jinxed myself! ;)
  • godseeconomy
    Thanks Donna. Not quite out of the woods yet. Need to have a chest x'ray done. Bought a bottle of linctus to try and suppress the cough. I'm so tired from the coughing bouts. Haven't been out doors past week.
  • Donna
    So sorry! Hope all turns out well!
  • frances turkel
    yeah I wasn't feeling well as you probably guesst since I haven't ben here for a day or so sorry but, I'm back
  • J Zerbs
    Sorry to hear, hope you're feeling better.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.