• Krystyna
    This tomato grew in my garden about 4 years ago.At that time I was collecting dolls so I borrowed pair of eye glasses from one and put them on the tomato;I called it mr.nosey for obvious reason,lol...I kept it for as long as I could before it ended up in garden salad.....
    58epwuk0p4e436ri.jpg
    br5fs54dpdrvkv0d.jpg
  • J Zerbs
    I've had all kinds of weird looking tomatoes that I've grown in my garden, especially with the heirloom varieties.
  • Krystyna
    Well,nature can be very creative.I mostly grow early girl,better boy and beefsteak tomatoes here....
  • Crafty501

With the price of produce sky rocketing these days, local grocery stores are considering selling "ugly" produce. Instead of carrots that we think of for instance, the carrots in the ugly lower priced category could have 3 or 4 shoots from the main carrot. I guess some people might not be interested but as it would be the same vitamin/mineral content I would certainly purchase "ugly" produce if it becomes available.
  • frances turkel
    I think the Tomatoe is really cute I wish I could have a veggie garden it would be a nice out door
    excerise but here in the dessert its really hard
  • Krystyna
    I absolutely agree with you and there are some stores that already sell them,this here is in France,one of few:Intermarché is going after food waste with cheeky advertising urging shoppers to pick “ugly” produce.

Over two days in April, Intermarché stores in the north-central town of Provins had ugly produce (mishapen and would have been tossed by growers) in dedicated areas with POS advertising.

The retailer commissioned well-known food and drink photographer Patrice de Villiers to snap images of misshapen fruit and vegetables.

His images were then used to advertise a special section in Intermarché stores that sold “ugly” fruits and vegetables for 30% less than “pretty” ones.

READ: Canada wastes $27 billion worth of food a year

There were also funny posters to support the campaign, such as: “Ugly orange – makes very nice juice”, “Ugly potato – voted Miss Purée 2013″, and “For your health, eat five ugly fruits and vegetables a day.”

Consumers could also enjoy a free “ugly juice” at point-of-sale or pick up Inglorious Vegetables Soups and Inglorious Fruit Juices made from the ugly produce.

The Marcel Paris campaign also included TV ads such as one featuring a strangely deformed Clementine. A voice-over states matter-of-factly that her imperfections are “actually quite cute.”

READ: One third of all food produced worldwide gets wasted

In-store, France’s third largest retailer put the ugly produce into their own supermarket aisles, featuring separate labelling and even a separate listing on the receipt.

Results following the campaign showed a 60% increase in traffic to the retailer’s fruit and vegetabes section and a 24% uptick in overall store traffic.

It is estimated that 300 million tonnes of fruit and vegetables are wasted each year. The European Union has designated 2014 as the European Year against Food Waste.

With the campaign’s success, Intermarché is considering a roll out of the program across France.".
    Also read this...
    "Designer Mirim Seo created Ugly Fruit as a way to respond to costly and unnecessary waste created by bruised and discolored fruit being thrown out. As many of these fruits and vegetables are perfectly fresh and edible, Ugly Fruit set out to create juice, jams, and dried fruits out of unattractive produce donated from neighborhood grocery stores. The design approach is amusing and sustainable, featuring cute fruit personas bearing bruises, and the "reuse it" call to action.
    The idea came from the fact that US markets toss out 15 billion dollars worth of fruits and vegetables each year just because they are bruised or discolored. But they are still fresh and edible. I felt there was an opportunity to stop the waste, so Ugly Fruit was born. Ugly Fruit is a stand that makes juice, jams, and dried fruits out of unattractive produce donated from our neighborhood grocery stores. Ugly fruit, pretty yummy!”
  • Krystyna
    Where do you live?
  • charsocal
    That is so cute and creative of you to dress up your tomato, so sorry to hear it ended up in the salad bowl, RIP.
  • Krystyna
    Believe me ,it was hard decision to make and to eat it,lol
  • J Zerbs
    vbcjq3ovbd13cx25.jpg
    6rkgkv50v4e11ey9.jpg
    2m5211useaciqzlo.jpg
    nidgr8ban34prm5y.jpg
    yxnywamfbw6bpwh9.jpg
    Attachment
    th (6) (7K)
  • J Zerbs
    There's lots of weird looking vegetables/fruit.
    ccysy2ch5tyfyfud.jpg
    55tu5usjtinpymfr.jpg

A lot of the foods that are considered vegetables are actually fruits. The following are technically fruits: avocado, beans, peapods, corn kernels, cucumbers, grains, nuts, olives, peppers, pumpkin, squash, sunflower seeds and tomatoes. Vegetables include celery (stem), lettuce (leaves), cauliflower and broccoli (buds), and beets, carrots and potatoes (roots).
    Attachment
    Screenshot_2016-03-04-17-15-50 (51K)
  • Krystyna
    Those are great and some look so realistic,here is few more,,,,,
    6y7nrmeeyueq55po.jpg
    ful69umnzk70hw3i.jpg
    vnkbu77hxso8msxa.jpg
    2tadidsw6u7rr0xu.jpg
    u19r0aun121makw5.jpg
  • J Zerbs
    It's a shame so much food is wasted just because it's "ugly". You'd think they'd use it for canning/making sauce or give it to a charity but unfortunately most ugly produce just gets thrown away.
  • Krystyna
    You are right and it's just a shame that all the food,(in this case the fruits), is wasted because it doesn't meet cosmetic specification set by stores,while so much hunger is still present.
  • godseeconomy
    UK retailers are trailing selling odd shapes fruits and veg so as to reduce the mountains of food waste as they think consumers won't buy them.rejects . If selling all shapes and sizes mean a reduction in prices and a reduction in food waste, I'm happy to buy odd balls!
  • charsocal
    I think they are so unique and cute. Does anyone know if there may be some type of preservative where they would not rot and you could keep them as show pieces?
  • bigdayqueen
    Wow, thoseare prettyinteresting fruits and veggies
  • J Zerbs
    here is a link to types of tomatoes that grow well in a hot and dry climate.http://www.tomatodirt.com/tomatoes-for-hot-dry-climates.html
  • J Zerbs
    Some tomato varieties I'd recommend are Wisconsin 55 it grows well in a wide varieties of soil types and climates.
    Black krim or black prince
    San Marzano- one of the best varieties for making sauce or tomato paste.
  • frances turkel
    I live in Tucson, Az. sorry I didn't answer you yesterday...I've never been to Wisconsin but I heard it is a beautiful State...
  • Krystyna
    I live in Southern California but J Zerbs lives in Wisconsin and I'm sure it's beautiful state...
  • J Zerbs
    just picked one today that looks like it has a nose.w0yjll0w72t4tq2d.jpg
    7agij37iogsrrbq6.jpg
  • Krystyna
    Looks alike my tomato,did you give it the black eye or bruise?,lol.....
  • Syvynn
    I think it's a rare Boxing Mater....
  • Krystyna
    That's a new name,lol....
  • Syvynn
    Yep I think they crossed a Mike Tomatyson with a Muhammater Ali.
  • J Zerbs
    Not sure who the culprit is but this is my top suspect0xgulah0ocqos21f.jpg
  • Krystyna
    He,he,he,that little devil;I should know better,lol before accusing you of abusing that great looking tomato of yours,lol.....
  • Paulgro
    We had a sweet potato that look like a duck.
  • frances turkel
    you guys are too much!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.