• Admin
    Understanding how customers use multiple channels
    Customers employ a broad array of channels to distinguish new products they would like to buy, and some of them, like word-of-mouth, are very important to customers, but not directly under marketers' influence.

This presents a challenge to marketers' contemporary thinking and practices. "Marketers don't really organize around the customer and how they behave; they organize around the channels and how people use those channels".

In bid to stay with customers at every step of the way and be significant to them, marketers need to think holistically. "We want to, as marketers, try to understand what their journey looks like — when are they going into the store, when are they going online, why are they doing that, where do they see the value — and try to really craft a journey that captures that."

Once the consumer journey is designed and after discovering what customers value, it's upon the organisation to provide that value. The primary predicament & challenge is figuring out what are the relationships between all those channel usages and visits, how do we measure it and how do we attribute our success across the multi-channel journey?"

How to create a reliable customer experience between brick-and-mortar and digital channels
    The most popular ways for customers to discover new products were:

• In-store browsing (59%)

• Word-of-mouth from friends, family, colleagues (57%)

• Using a search engine (47%)

• Articles in print magazines/newspapers (34%)

Lucidly, both brick-and-mortar channels and digital channels are in the top three. Since consumers can come to a brand's physical stores from digital interactions, and they can come into a store to glance through, and then make a purchase later online, it's imperative for any organisation to construct a horizontal transition between the offline and online parts of the consumer journey.

Financial services are an interesting example of creating a consistent brand experience across branches and digital channels. Bank clients go online and see value in online interactions, but they also still go to branches. Creating a consistent brand experience is key for converting consumer into prosumer.

"Especially in the financial sector with special regards to banks as they create some interesting programs where the customer interacts online, and through that process they're actually creating an asset or an artefact that they then bring to the branch, and that artefact guides the in-branch staff to know how to react," So in that sense the customer is carrying the consistent touch piece as they pass through the channels, and you're not leaving it up to whether or not the people in the branch have been trained correctly." It is best example of coherent marketing across the consumer journey.

The artefact consumers create can be based on a quiz, or creating an action list — anything that enables the consumer to get a step closer to the service that they are interested in. This type of consumer-led artefact creation functions like content marketing, focused on utility — it goes beyond informing and educating, and enables the customer and customer service representative to have the most meaningful interaction later.
    "So you can really use your customer as a kind of conduit for the experience as they pass from digital to bricks and mortar”.

To sum up, consumers use various channels to discover new products that they would like to buy, and Companies face the challenge to map customers' journeys across digital and offline channels, and provide relevant service every step of the way.
  • godseeconomy
    My 1st point of reference is the internet, via google. then it's family, esp through my children, then to online shops and last physical shops, except only when it comes to groceries. all my groceries are in physical shops or market places.
  • Crafty501
    I love using the internet to compare prices for the same item. Also I read the reviews if available, although sometimes you wonder if they are padded. I do like shopping instore and if I find a product that I really like, I will order it on line if I can't make it to the physical store - as long as I'm getting the shipping for free. As with godseeconomy all my groceries are purchased in store
  • frances turkel
    I shop for most everything at physicall stores except on accasion clothes
  • sascha
    I buy all of my groceries in physical stores or farm markets. I buy more than 95% of clothing in physical stores. I prefer to buy most things where I can see and touch the product before purchasing. For example, my brother (RIP) wanted me to buy him the newest NutriBullet. I wasn't going to part with over $200 without knowing more about the product. I saw the product at a demonstration in-store. I asked to examine it. The demonstrator was stunned , because I took the entire thing apart and looked at it closely and then reassembled it. It had design flaws. I chose not to buy it.
  • Donna
    I have just recently started occasionally buying stuff like paper goods for the home, and some non perishables on Amazon. I do that when money is tight -- which is always -- and I happen to already have money in my Amazon account. I don't think I could ever order meats or produce online. I have to touch it, see it, etc. for myself. Lol, I won't even send my husband to the store for produce, let alone let some unseen person choose it for me by ordering online! Have to do it myself!
  • Donna
    Brings to mind something else. I have recently gotten into jewelry making. Just this past Christmas, I discovered a bead store about 20 minutes away from me.
    The owner was in the process of clearing out her inventory because she was closing her doors for good the week before Christmas.
    I do order beads and supplies online, but there is nothing like seeing the beads, touching them, feeling the weight of them, running them through your fingers, etc., before buying.
    The internet is an awesome thing, but these little shops can't compete with online sellers, and end up going out of business. I know of three other good bead stores, but they are all about 45 minutes to an hour away from me. :(
  • sascha
    I do the same!
  • Donna
    Not sure exactly what you're referring to that you also do. Do you also make jewelry or do you also refuse to send your husband to the store for produce? ;P (I posted two things in a row above, and am not sure which you're replying to).
  • sascha
    HAHA! I actually do both. I was referring, though, to refusing to send my hubby to the store for produce. There have been numerous times where I have had no choice but to send him. I have given him a written list with 3 items and he managed to come home with abut a dozen items but NOT ONE THAT WAS ON THE LIST!!
  • frances turkel
    sascha Are you sure its your husband and not my boyfriend ....I sent him also to buy a few things at Walmart and he missed everything on my list and I couldn't believe it.
    I went today and its over a hundred degrees so he drop me off and after I finished shopping he picked me up.....Well as I mentioned I also finally bought my slacks so it was worth the trip thankyou
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.