• Nat M
    Just curious to know if your countries are having a mad frenzy of buying the supermarkets out of daily essentials............toliet paper, hand sanitizer, tissues , rice, pasta ,tin food etc.

My local supermarket- not a toilet roll in sight

fgs8iwmidbmocgxm.jpg
  • Bobert
    :...indeed, today
    My chemist, not that I wanted any, Lady talking to the chemist,
    "no we dont have any hand sanitiser, we are even down to the last one we use"
  • Bobert
    v8o6nt6yal8k1oxo.png

Ebay..
  • Nat M

Gone crazy.
    Bottle of Grappa :lol: or Methylated Spirits will do the job and be cheaper.
    But i did not check if the methylated spirits bottles were gone
  • Bobert
    The cheapest ones are shipping from China but would they even allow it out and shipped world wide
    This bug has travelled the globe in 12 weeks ...nothing to worry about...
    Can't be that contagious...right :smile:
  • xrayspex
    No..everything is stocked here in new york city..nobody freaking out
  • Carol hughes
    You can't find Hand Sanitizer in any sore by me in Indiana
  • Nat M
    Got this tonight

xb3h19q4h2y27jbj.jpg
  • godseeconomy
    There are people stocking up in certain places in UK, Hand soap, gels, food stuff etc. etc. We haven't done any!! Did top up 2/52 supply of dried foodstuff like rice and tinned tuna and jars of honey.
  • Scousegirl
    Calm down, people. Wash your hands and don't touch your face until you do so. The ONLY people who should be wearing masks are those with symptoms, or health care workers. I worked in a Toronto hospital during the SARS outbreak in 2003. SARS was just as contagious and had a high death rate of around 3%. I know of only one person who died and she was a front-line nurse at the hospital where the virus was prevalent. Lots of people will get this virus, most will have few or no symptoms. As with seasonal flu, the elderly and those with underlying respiratory and heart issues are most vulnerable. The flu kills thousands worldwide every year and no flips out over that.
  • cjsenour
    Some stores and websites are limiting how many you can buy at one time of hand sanitizer, etc. Some places sold out and can't get more. For the most part, it is just a panic. There is one college in Washington state that closed and went to online classes, but mostly people are going about their business. There were some concerts that cancelled, but not many.
  • Siegfried
    Lady Macbeth says "Spotgo, the only hand sanitiser for me!"
  • Donna
    Wish I could give you a bazillion plaudits for your level headed comment!
  • J Zerbs
    Exactly, you said it better than I could.
  • godseeconomy
    Ryan Air has cancelled our flight to Rome for the 24th March. Glad of it and glad we will be getting a full return refund! The Lord is sovereign. Minutes after receiving that notification, we received a phone call from our best man's wife to inform us that his funeral is scheduled for the 24th March!! We now can go to say farewell to Maurice. We thought we might be away and wouldn't be able to attend. It took the authorities quite a time to allow for the burial to take place as it turned out to be a coroner case.
  • godseeconomy
    We also turned down 2 weddings due to Coronavirus. My nephew in Singapore on 29th February and my husband's niece in Coventry on 4th April. Relatives from USA and HK have also cancelled attending these weddings.
  • Donna
    I'm sorry for your loss! My mom and dad were married on April 4th!
    I probably would cancel travel plans, also, but as far as regular day to day living, I think as @Scousegirl said, people need to calm down.
  • godseeconomy
    Thanks. We had plans to gather the tribe in Birmingham (after the Coventry wedding) as an older nephew has a birthday 2 days after the wedding. That will be a no show from us now. Best to be safe. We haven't see him for many years.
  • Tricia889
    SARS and Coronavirus are in the same family but SARS only affected 8000 people in a dozen countries . CoronaVirus has already affected over 100, 000 people and counting worldwide in almost every country on the planet. Huge difference and no comparison .

As for the flu , yes , people don't realize how many deaths there are per year from the flu.

Coronavirus, though has been described as the flu on steroids . It's far more contagious , can live on surfaces for hours , your pets may transmit it , and even the WHO says there are many unknowns . It's unchartered territory . Schools are closing , sports events cancelled , concerts , people told to work at home , globally , it's unprecedented .

I did buy N95 masks on E bay at an inflated price . They have been sold out here for at least a month .The hospitals , police departments etc bought them all out . My way of thinking is i have the right to protect myself and make my own decisions .

My thinking was if it gets so bad ( hopefully not ) and they tell people to stay home----- i can get supplies when i run out and be protected . Also i need an X ray soon on my foot and don't want to walk into a medical clinic full of sick people unprotected . I don't think its panicking , its being prudent :)

We all think different i guess :nerd:
  • xrayspex
    Its weird how different parts of the world are reacting..as well as different parts of America. Here in NYC it's just the same as it always is..nobody freaking out..all supermarkets are stocked..no shortage of any hand lotion or any anti bacterial wipes..maybe because we went through the aids crisis big time..9\11..ECT..that its kind of tame to us..lol

• Bobert
    Apparantly under 12's are very safe, over 70's High risk
    People with underlying ailments very High risk
    Males 65% of deaths
    It's scary these days what with air travel, air mail, over seas shipping,
    That it can travel the globe in a matter of weeks
    It's highly likely that all families world wide will have contracted it
    There's no point brushing it under the carpet,
    We have to be vigilante ..... Maybe not so much now but the warming weather will no doubt breed this bacteria faster ... And those that can help are just putting prices up ...
    It's better to tell everyone now to stay away from work, uni, schools, events
    Take the brunt, instead of in 6 months with 80% contamination,
    There'll be a world disinfecting day where every one will be out with wet wipes n mops, n bleach
    Germ warfare day ...

Plus I believe the true numbers are not revealed ..
  • Bobert
    vvsdchad1dbfckeb.png

A third today is 2.2 billion?
    10 to 20% of that number dieing is astronomical..
    City's with High numbers, packed in like sardines are showing themselves sooner ...
    If you've had any strain of flu before your own system has a better chance of fighting it off
  • godseeconomy
    I belong to the high risk group due to age and low immunity and multiple health issues. Lord preserve us!
  • Bobert
    You have to be extra careful
  • Bobert
    I was just reading, a hotel in China housing people who tested positive, collapsed ...
  • godseeconomy
    Thanks indeed. I have kept myself away from crowds or going on public transport, preferring to walk rather than get on a bus for now. Not even happy to get into a taxi!
  • Scousegirl
    The WHO states that there is no evidence of pet to human transmission. The one dog in Hong Kong with the weak positive (after the test sat for two full days, when results are usually taken within hours) was living within an infected owner. Blood tests to confirm if the dog has the virus in its system are still pending.
    This virus is a droplet-borne disease, transmitted from person to person in the vast majority of cases through sneezing, coughing and close contact. As for the N-95 masks, the vast majority of people will be wearing them incorrectly. During SARS, our masks were custom-fitted to endure maximum protection. This took half an hour with the infection-control team. If you're not used to wearing a mask, you will be constantly adjusting it - which only brings further unnecessary contact with your face.
  • godseeconomy
    Poor people. As if they don't have enough calamities to deal with. Lord bless them. Pray for no fatalities.
  • Siegfried
    People over-reacting will cause far more harm in general through economic disruption than a small number of casualties from a disease that you probably will not catch anyway,and is generally not very serious if you do.
    The most rational thing to do is ignore it. Something is going to kill you anyway, eventually.
  • Bobert
    I gave in, started stock piling ... rzvjkjjk5jqe8g74.png
  • Tricia889
    Hi Scousegirl Remember This probably all started from bat- to host animal- to human transmission in the first place .

Agreed its pure speculation on pet transmission. The CDC on their website recommends that "if a person tests positive for coronavirus, they should restrict contact with animals, just as they would avoid other humans."

People aren't going to agree on this topic and that's ok . I don't see any harm on stocking up on supplies,, wearing a mask if going to be around possibly infected people , ( yes i know how to use it ) having cash on hand etc , like you would a hurricane or any other impending disaster . Hopefully it all goes away and we don't need any of it.

No need to be hysterical , just more careful than normal :)

It's hard to distinguish between disaster preparedness and over reaction . It's a matter of opinion
  • Tricia889

Wow Really Interesting on the Spanish Flu . Hope we never have a flu like that one again , probably not with our flu shots. :nerd:
  • Bobert
    If they start with the flu shots I suppose the oldest people should top the list, working backwards .... Yes people die of flu and pneumonia every year, well this year
    :...........expect ......xd7mgbhx4mutcbc5.png
  • J Zerbs
    If the Harvard professor is right and 40-70% of the world population will have it within a year could be deaths in the 100 millions, we'll see personally I'm not too concerned at this point but am somewhat concerned. Most people here seem to be like me there is no shortage of items at supermarkets at the moment due to people stocking up.
  • godseeconomy
    Would make Coronavirus the biggest killer rather than Cancer!!!
  • Bobert
    Young fit individuals, don't really need to be concerned, for themselves...
    As a whole... I'm very concerned ..

This isn't going away, if a cure, released now, they wouldn't give it to the world or stock areas up incase, "the powers that be" would rather save on the cost ... See what the natural outcome is ....

3% was an estimate 7 billion an underestimate..it's closer to 8 .... If it was 12.4% of 8 billion...
    Billion deaths ...
    Unthinkable ....
  • J Zerbs
    A cure won't be released anytime soon, last I heard they were 12-18 months away from coming up with a vaccine.

Our current president here in the US seems to live in a different world than the rest of us, said the 3% death rate was exaggerated and "he has a feeling the real number is less than 1%" also said come spring/summer when the weather gets warmer it'll kill the virus and it'll go away.
  • godseeconomy
    He is a law unto himself!
  • sharonh
    China is lying. Wuhan has bio lab very near to where first cases were. First victims were NOT at the sea food that supposedly caused the outbreak. I read China bio labs have more mishaps than any other country and supposedly laboratory animals that should be destroyed sometimes end up on the black market and then someone's dinner.

If the virus is a "normal" virus, then yes transmission rates should go down in Northern Hemisphere as we approach summer and increase in Southern as they will be approaching winter. But we don't know if this is a "normal" virus, especially if indeed China is lying and it escaped from their lab.
  • Bobert
    Cant make it be a video... Video is a minute
    Top of page
  • Nat M

Hopefully that will work

• Bobert
    Thanks ...
    According to her, 3 hours in and they'd sussed it
    Available in weeks, hopefully it will be beneficial
    Also saw an ad'
    Get injected be a lab rat £3.500
    I suppose you'll have to be at the peak of health
    But still, no thanks ...
  • godseeconomy
    Hopeful piece of good news at last. Been inundated with doom and gloom these past 2/12 plus! it is getting so depressing globally too.
  • Tricia889

That's an ominous calculation.

We don't really know how this virus will behave . Unchartered territory.

Our best bet is to contain, isolate , and slow down the spread , the more time the better until it maybe goes away in the warm months and they come up with something.

This could happen especially in countries with good healthcare . :)
  • CHRISTINE KNAPP
    Talked to my son last night (yes, the one that was in the doghouse w/his ex over Int Womens' Day) about his upcoming trip to the Philippines. I have a box of CURAD anti-viral facemasks & each is individually wrapped...he said SURE--send 'em! I should note, on the exterior packaging is printed with "Made in China!" (I've had them sitting around for years) LOL!!!!!
  • Bobert
    Hopefully they find some aid, maybe not a cure but an inhibitor , something that makes it less potent ... The summer will just put it into hibernation in that area ... Winters always somewhere ... Just this virus came out the blocks running ... It needs catching up with and halting ... Yes people die of flu every year .. This ones different, you can have it a month unknowing .. And you can be sure they're not passing on all they know
  • Tricia889
    https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/10/5/04-0022_article Domestic Cats and SARS the citations are attached .

. Yes it would be great if they will find something to treat until a vaccine . Maybe a SARS or MERS medication since the viruses are related . I think there is an AIDS drug they have tried in Asia they say helped. They can give these on compassionate grounds if needed .

I guess we just wait and see what happens in the next 2-3 weeks . Hopefully it goes away quickly and we are more prepared when it comes back . Agreed they are not passing on everything they know . A lot of people feel that way around here . Time will tell :)
  • godseeconomy
    I have to cancel a number of trips and volunteering services as they entail travelling on congested public transport. There is a funeral of my husband's best friend in another part of the country. I am of 2 minds whether to attend or not.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.