• charsocal
    - Does the river ever get so frozen that you can ice skate on it?
  • Donna
    I don't think you could. I would never try even walking on it. First of all, it never freezes anywhere near smoothly. Because of the current, maybe? It has frozen on the surface from bank to bank, but I would never trust it to walk on it - not thick enough. Again, maybe because of the current? I also don't think it is cold enough for long enough at a time for it to freeze enough to even walk on.
    My uncle lived on a lake and when I was small, I remember my cousins skating on it. My hubby's sisiter lives down the street and they have a pond in back of their house that they have skated on. I would never trust the river though.
    I'll take and post pic of it if it freezes over again.
  • mikeee
    I agree with Donna about the river. Rivers have flowing water and I would never trust that ice.
    We can have days of 20 below zero weather, and only then does the Mississippi River freeze
    over, but if it get's back up to zero, there are plenty of places with open water.
  • charsocal
    - Bummer cuz that would be a blast to ice skate on the water. My parents use to take us ice skating when we lived in Massachusetts but I think it was a pond. We did it so much we all had our own skates and there was also a free outdoor iceskating rink in our neighborhood that was actually a basketball court also. I can still see the red flag that meant the ice wasn't hard enough to skate on and the green flag that it was.
  • Mary Gustafson
    Here you dont need to be concerned with the rivers freezing because they don't completely. But we have a lot of lakes around to ice skate and many skating rinks. The lakes freeze solid pretty much until sprint. This year has been exstreamly cold.
  • Donna
    Where are you, Mary?
  • Donna
    Thanks to crazy Michigan weather, that foot of snow we got between the Wednesday snow and Friday snow is GONE!
  • Donna
    Whoops! That came out as two different posts. We had highs in the 50s yesterday, and in the 60s today!
  • mikeee
    no snow?!?!? nice!
  • Donna
    Yeah, except now we're getting rain that we don't need. The ground feels like a soggy sponge when you step on it. By the time the rain finally stops tomorrow, we may have gotten as much as 2 to 3 inches.
  • mikeee
    Wow! That would have been more that a foot of snow! But rain is certainly no fun when it's cold out. I imaging the ground is still hard so it can't soak in anywhere either...
  • Donna
    Right now the ground is really soft - at least on the surface. When you step on it, you can feel yourself sink a bit and water puddles up around your foot. If I remember right, we had a really mild first part of December last year and a lot of rain - the ground was saturated late last fall
  • godseeconomy
    Keep warm folks! Need to wrap up and be careful with your footsteps! It's just as cold here in London but not snow.
  • mikeee
    19 degrees (F) here, and still a good foot of snow on the ground here.
  • Carol hughes
    Most of my snow melted from last week's snowstorm had a lot of rain yesterday some streets flooded by me the temperature was 60 went to the store with just a sweater on today I had gloves on it's 20
  • godseeconomy
    Enough snow to make a couple of snowmen then !!!! Enjoy the whiteness.
  • mikeee
    6-12" on the way between now and Saturday...
  • charsocal
    - Getting ready to get out of the 80's and back into the 70's. Too hot for Feb!
    Enjoy the snow.
  • Donna
    Wow! We are enjoying very mild weather. Our night time lows are mostly above freezing for the next 10 days and our daytime highs are ranging from mid 30s to low 50s.
    We did have some flooding - nothing major. The river came up over the bank at the back of our yard. The neighbors get it worse - all of their storage/garden sheds are in a few inches of water. Those sheds are in such low spots that even when the river goes back down, they’re left in standing water.
    od14fbull4p8zlpo.jpeg
    Some familiar scenery from my yard. If you scroll up to the picture I posted after the snow melted,, you can see that bench and see where the river should be.
  • mikeee
    Hope that river stays away from your house!!!

I'd say we got about 4-5" overnight. They are talking 5-8" for Satuday. I'll have to post a photo on Sunday!
  • Donna
    Definitely post a pic!
    In the last 11 1/2 years that we've lived here, this is the second time that the river has risen this high - the first time was worse! People were canoeing in our back yard, That was weird! I didn't like it because it allowed people direct access to our yard. When the river is where it should be, people stay on the river and you have the embankment (is that what you call it? The brick and rock that you dump at the river's edge to help prevent erosion?) that most really don't want to try and cross over. But even that first time, the water did not make it near the house. Then also, in the 50+ years that my husband's family was here, the river has never reached the house in all that time, either. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, knock on wood!
    The water has already receded, too, although because the ground is so wet, I expect more flooding when the spring rains come.
  • mikeee
    lol @ canoeing in the back yard! Yeah, a little invasion of privacy there..
    I'd guess it's pretty scary when the river is that high. If you have a basement, it would be
    below the water table.. I can't tell how far away the house is, but hopefully when it was
    build, they "built up" the land enough!
  • Donna
    The weather sure can be crazy, huh?!
    You must be in the upper half of Indiana? I have cousins who live down in Evansville.
  • Carol hughes

Not sure if it's climate change or what but you're right it can be crazy
    I think we are in for some more rain maybe mixed with a little snow temperature is 40 so don't think snow will be an issue
  • mikeee
    snow has begun!
  • Carol hughes

Just a little mist here
  • mikeee
    Is that the calm before the storm?
  • mikeee
    This is snow from Thursday and today... It's still snowing some.

zmx54vn145vlac5w.jpg
    l9einb5pbd9eiqkh.jpg
  • charsocal
    - Looks like a ice cream cake, yummy! 1 degree shy from breaking a record high today of 81 in my parts.
    Wanted to ask you and Donna, are you guy's in a flood zone as it sure does look like Donna could be living near the river.
    Thanks for sharing BTW
  • mikeee
    I'm not in a flood zone. I live a mile from the Mississippi river, but it's well contained.
  • mikeee
    It's almost Spring!
    It's almost Spring!
    It's almost Spring!

ef5o9mdesr7ep4zs.jpg
    h2ppiuikjtqa1ljg.jpg072ros2iu1p0thv5.jpg
    tr0z29p1uu2jcay3.jpg
  • Carol hughes

Pretty If you don't have to shovel it
  • mikeee
    I had to do 2 driveways today (and thursday). I am clearing a former neighbors while they are someplace sunny. Snow blowers are good here!
  • Donna
    @charsocal I live on the Huron River. It empties into Lake Erie a couple of miles away from us. As I said, knock on wood, ;) flood waters have never made it up to the house in the last 60 - 70 years, which is the amount of time hubby's dad owned the house, and now we own it. During the almost 12 years we've had the house, this is the second time that it has flooded like this. The first time. it was worse. But the water still never came close to reaching the house.Doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Technically, only the land down by the river is in a flood zone, the house isn't. The last time we refinanced our house with the local bank, they didn't require us to have flood insurance - but when the local bank sold our mortgage to a large out of state bank, that bank did/does require it.
  • charsocal
    - Smart new insurance company as that sure looks to close for comfort if anything did happen.
  • charsocal
    - Beautiful pic's.
  • Donna
    I just read about the snow in the UK! Have you gotten snow?
  • Donna
    About an inch of rain and 1 - 5 inches of snow for us today and tonight. Rain has just changed over to snow. I believe where I am is on the lower end of the snow totals, thankfully.
  • Donna
    czgzvw6giu187o7x.jpeg
    Big heavy wet snow. I stepped outside a sec ago to snap this pic and I could feel the flakes hit my head. This is a kick in the a** after two days of 50 and 60 degree sunny weather. Spring starts in about 20 days! Yay!!
  • Carol hughes

We also had 60 degrees for a couple days and now 30 had to wear my winter coat to the store this morning not liking it
  • godseeconomy
    I'm staying indoors! Don't want another broken bone.
  • mikeee
    That's pretty tough when the white stuff starts falling after such nice
    weather!
  • Donna
    Just sitting and watching the snow fall before I make dinner. These flakes are positively HUGE!
  • mikeee
    And another winter storm... lol
  • Carol hughes

I'm getting Sleet right now
  • mikeee
    i hope it stays calm now
  • mikeee
    i hope it stays calm now
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.