• Bob Dack
    This is a Letter my friend got in regular mail

2zy6ojy909rcbkqo.jpg

Sharing from another post
    A timely reminder that scams aren't just online.
    Last night I got this document in the mail, requesting a bunch of information including my SIN and my passport or birth certificate.
    Immediately I thought this was suspicious so I started digging.
    A bit of researching later and I discovered that the address doesn't match the postal code and the phone number is registered in America!

Going to the myCRA site also popped up with an error that the reference number didn't match my ID.
    This morning I called the CRA and confirmed with them that they did not send me any letters requesting information, and that this was indeed fraudulent.

Always make sure to double check any request for your personal information,
    it's amazing what scammers are willing to try.
  • Bob Dack
    Never Forget about the Regular E-Mail Scams

This one just came in E-Mail form the other day?

tob3q4aqavrikg8s.jpg
  • Bob Dack
    Yup another one
    Don't forget to report them to

qlv44evirlqmhc52.jpg
  • Bob Dack
    qe8606kxed919h8s.jpg
    An Edmonton woman is warning others about an elaborate telephone scam after she was swindled out of more than $15,000 in bogus bail money and legal fees by someone claiming to be an RCMP officer.

Maryam Raza said she was tricked into believing her husband was under arrest and instructed to transfer the money through Bitcoin ATM machines by the officer who convinced her that her husband was under arrest for not reporting his identity had been stolen.

She was warned that his alleged crime could lead to $50,000 in fines or 18 months in jail and that involving others would be considered obstruction of justice or could even lead to her deportation, she said.

"I honestly truly believed I was talking to the cops and I was really afraid of hurting my husband's case," said Raza, who moved to Edmonton from Pakistan four years ago to join her husband who is a Canadian citizen.

"I didn't want him to get jailed, for example. That's what was going through my head."

Raza said the ordeal began last Monday morning when she was home alone with her 15-month-old daughter and the phone rang. Her call display indicated the RCMP K Division in Alberta called twice but when she picked up the line went dead.

Then her husband's cell number popped up. Raza believes she heard him saying hello before a man claiming to be an RCMP officer got on the line and explained they were using her husband's phone because their line was dropping out.

"It made sense at the time," said Raza, recalling the confident and civil tone of the fake police officer, who "talked like Mounties talk" and had answers for all her questions.

"It's just enough to convince you," she said.
    Paid with Bitcoin

The bogus officer identified himself as Austin White, badge number 44701. He provided the file number #AB192805 along with many of her family's personal details, including her husband's office location and department where he had apparently been taken into custody.

Joined on the line by a fake lawyer and accountant, they instructed her to go to a Waves Coffee House in the southwest neighbourhood of Windermere and pay his bail of $2,340 through a Bitcoin ATM, installed, they falsely claimed, by the government.

They warned she was being recorded and when she hung up, they called right back, tying up her home phone line.

When she asked to speak to her husband again she said she was told, "No, you will be able to fairly soon."

"They didn't even let me drop my baby to a babysitter," Raza said.

For the next five hours, they kept her on the phone, with her screaming toddler in tow, as their requests for money escalated and they directed her to three nearby bank branches and an ATM machine. At another Bitcoin ATM, she deposited $9,000 in fees for lawyers and paperwork.

She said they told her she needed to pay another $6,000 to clear her husband's name from city, provincial and federal records which would be finalized when they appeared in court on Wednesday.

They also assured her the money was all refundable and the officer who would later accompany her husband back to the house would be carrying three cheques, she said.

In the background, she could hear people saying "Hello, RCMP K Division" as if answering other lines, said Raza, who also sent them a photo of her driver's licence.

In total, she sent them $15,140 — all of their savings.
    'You're safe'

Raza said she got suspicious and the call came to an end when the men suggested she use her credit card.
    Advertisement

When she called her husband and found out he was on the bus returning from work rather than in police custody, she said her first thought was "Oh my god, you're safe."

"Then it hit me and I just started bawling my eyes out," said Raza, realizing she had been scammed.

"After, when he was sitting with me in front of me I realized I could have done so many things that I didn't do but at the point in time it was actually happening to me it was torture."

Later they figured out how some of their information was likely compromised. Raza said earlier that morning, her husband answered an apparent call from someone at United Parcel Service, insistent that he would need to sign for a package later that day and asking him where he worked.

When no parcel arrived, her husband called UPS but they knew nothing about the call or the parcel.

Tracking IP addresses themselves, they believe the money deposited into Bitcoin ATMS was first transferred to London and then France, she said. Experts say recovering the virtual currency is difficult.

They have filed a complaint with Bitcoin and also the Edmonton police who are expected to comment today. Police have previously launched awareness campaigns to help people protect themselves against various scams.

Raza said she has since called the fake officer through a WhatsApp number he used to text her the Bitcoin transaction code, but said he hung up on her.

Raza admits she needs to educate herself about Canadian law enforcement but hopes going public will educate others in case they become a target.

She said when a loved one is in trouble "you stop thinking rationally," and urged others in her position to reach out to someone for help. She also encouraged bank clerks to be on the lookout for those being coerced into withdrawing unusually large sums of money.
  • godseeconomy
    Plenty around. In UK they are targeting the elderly with 'equity release' ones !!!!!! And oh yes, 'Bitcoins' as well!!
  • Donna
    I read about the Nigerian man who died! He was a prince, too! ;)
  • Bob Dack
    I thought I read he was a Banker or Politician?
  • Bob Dack
    Huh??? ...What the heck is this doing in my UNIVOX mailbox???

bppnka196z0qdrtj.jpg
  • charsocal
    WHO POSTED THE ABOVE ATTACHMENT
  • Syvynn
    Bob Dack did.
  • Bob Dack

Not me ,I was just showing that someone stuck this "Spam" in my Univox Mailbox?!?

The Guy's Name is right there "kennetamaco"
    So I don't know whether he posted it to me
    because of this Thread or he is actually
    going around Spamming Member?

I didn't report him but I did look him up
    and tell him to stop Spamming member?
    Under the Members section it said he has only 3 post?
  • Kingalfred
    Kennetamaco <<<<<<
    Admin .,.,. stop these clowns personally sending me mail and remove this account
    thanks
  • Bob Dack
    Wow Got this one in the e-Mails today
    Have a read as I change the addresses & phone#'s

Dear Friend,

I am Mr.(gilbert williams frost) . I am a US citizen, 66 years
    Old. I reside here in Centreville Virginia U.S.A. My residential
    address is as follows.14852 Rock Landing Court Centreville
    Virginia 20121 United States and my email address is
    () and my telephone number is +1(666)
    666-6666 you can call me or send me a text message and i will
    respond back to you.

I am one of those that fall victims to scammers in Africa two
    years ago. I have lost over US$100,000.00 for the past years
    while in the USA. I was trying to get my payment all to no avail.
    And they always stopped my funds with one reason or the order. So
    I decided to travel with my Son to WASHINGTON D.C with all
    documents, there the (FBI) was amazed and contacted the Nigeria
    embassy in the USA. After some hours in that office, I was asked
    by the FBI officer to come back the next week.

When I did the FBI officer gave me the contact of one Mrs. Maria
    Farnandez who is a representative of the (FBI) and a member of
    the compensation award committee, currently in Nigeria. And when
    I contacted her she explained everything to me. She said whoever
    is contacting us through emails are fake that I should fly down
    to Nigeria to see things for myself which I did and she took me
    to the paying bank for the claim of my compensation payment.

This was paid to me successfully. Right now I am the happiest man
    on earth because I have finally received my compensation funds of
    US$1,300,000.00.

Moreover, Mrs. Maria Farnandez showed me the full Information of
    those that are yet to receive their compensation funds and this
    was how I came across only your email address and your full name.

The only Money I paid after I meet with Mrs. Maria Farnandez was
    just $550.00 (Five Hundred & Fifty Dollars) for the ownership
    paper works. So I am advising you to contact Mrs. Maria Farnandez
    through her email address () for your
    own money including the money you lost or you can as well call
    her on her direct telephone number (+1(666)
    666-6666 ) please take
    it very serious.

Please contact her and send your telephone number and your
    residential address to her so that she can release your own money
    to you.

Thank you & God bless you.

Mr.gilbert williams frost .
    14852 Rock Landing Court, Centreville
    Virginia 20121 United States
  • Kingalfred
    .,.,.,.,. They must think we all just crawled out of a cave onto flat Earth
  • Carol hughes
    Received one in my inbox also this needs to stop
  • Bob Dack

#METOO This Guy must think we are all stupid?
    I reported him spamming but I'm not sure whether Admin has done anything to him?
  • Bob Dack
    Here's a E-Mail Scam just in today!

q97cwfh58spnftp1.jpg
  • sharonh
    What? You don't want $10.5 Million?
  • Bob Dack
    Here's anew one that came in the E-Mail (Scam) just in today!

5nzldy3jen9naczu.jpg
  • sharonh
    You just exposed him.....He will lose his job!
  • Kingalfred
    Oh my .,.,. i so hope they make a movie of this Bob Dack
    so long as there are no harmful alligator scenes...
    who knew Jesus was so deceptive and a lover of KFC
  • Donna
    Yeesh! What a couple of nuts!
  • Bob Dack
    My Cousin from Saskatoon Posted this on her Facebook

3go1rdsrgdl29z90.jpg
  • Donna
    I got a phone call today from Turkey! My Turkish prince has finally called!
  • Bob Dack
    Yeah but did he tell you you could be one of many?

7segaktn7a2a790b.jpeg
  • Carol hughes

What gets me is all the robo calls I will not pick up now if I don't recognize the number I am almost afraid by just saying Hello I could be signing up for something they don't usually leave a message although yesterday was the first time that one did it said if I don't call this number back within 24 hours my computer will blow up.
  • Bob Dack

Way too early in the mornings,I'm always getting those
    ones from the guys telling me I have qualified for a lower
    interest rate on my Credit cards and I hang up on them.
  • sharonh
    I find those humorous. "We have been closely monitoring your credit card. Because of your payment history, you qualify for a lower interest rate...blah blah blah"

If they had been really monitoring, the caller would know we NEVER carry balance.
  • Bob Dack

Yeah, those are the guys!?!
    ffijbgnf29r5tj07.jpg
  • Donna
    I let my prince go to voicemail.
  • Bob Dack
    What would 'The Queen of Cartoon' do with a Prince anyhow?
  • Bob Dack
    bvfswalbmozwlg0x.jpg

My Cousin sent me this one that she got as an e-mail
  • sharonh
    Mine would be boring also, weeding, cooking, many trips to church for various reasons, dropping daughter at work..(yawn)
  • Bob Dack
    Yup,Here's another piece of Spam Scam flowing around on the Internet & Facebook!

Totally Fake

ld8qhfnm8my5ngi9.jpg
  • godseeconomy
    Never purchased such food. Consider such as junk food.
  • cjsenour
    Every morning I have at least 30 e-mails in my spam folder. There are Russian, Ukrainian and Asian girls waiting to meet me. I might be interested if I were a lesbian. I have abandoned packages waiting at DHL, FedX and American Airlines. "To stop receiving these messages, hit reply and tell us." And my all-time favorite. "Stop sending me your naked pictures!" Why would a 78 year old woman be taking naked pictures much less sending them to anyone is beyond me. Delete, Delete, Delete.
  • Bob Dack

That was just a label It put on the fake coupon not an coupon for the item?
  • godseeconomy
    I get such as well. So annoying. When I get Inland Revenue, Amazon, Gov't ones I forward to the dept under spoof so they can investigate or do something about such scams.
  • Bob Dack
    New one for Tax time

0dow8mspd2z9da9t.jpg
  • Kevin H
    I keep getting interrupted mid survey on another site by "GOOGLE REWARDS MEMBERSHIP" saying I've won an iPhone X or similar and asking to complete a survey. It's a scam, obviously, and there are a number of variations that include Amazon etc.
    Hard to get rid of but perhaps they're targeting the survey community so keep an eye open.
  • Bob Dack
    I've had that too!

There's another that while surfing I get that locks-up you CPU and says
    This is Microsoft You Computer has been compromised Please Call 1-800-XXX-XXXX
    And we can unlock your Computer???

You need to crash your Computer and power it down to get rid of this?
    It may take a couple of times.
    This is not something Microsoft would do!
  • cjsenour
    I had that one several weeks ago. I called the Geek Squad and was told to not only power down, but ujnplug the computer. Got rid of it and have not had it again. Do NO call the 800 number on the screen.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.