• Bob Dack
    Incase anyone is looking for this sort of thing!

jadqcskpyotig9y7.jpg
  • Krystyna
    Few years ago I came across some recipes that people use soda pop or beer in their baking or cooking,thank you for sharing....Btw,on occasions I make beer/flour batter for fresh fish to dip it in and to cook .....
  • Paulgro
    My wife uses beer in meatloaf.
  • Krystyna
    Never heard of it but how it taste?
  • charsocal
    - Interesting. Thanks for sharing!
  • charsocal
    - Once in a bluemoon when my husband makes chili he will put beer in it while it's cooking. Why, I don't know as he dosn't even drink and I can't tell the difference if there is any in it or not as I do like beer.
  • Kingalfred
    ive put wine.,.,.maybe too much .,.in spaghetti bolognese.,.they say the alcohol cooks out .,. but if you simmer for a long time.,.so lots of the moisture is steamed out.,. then add the red wine.,.heat back up.,. not a lot of the alcohol get cooked out.,. very tasty eating and drinking a glass from the same bottle .,.
    ...back to the batter .,. if you add plain flour and self raising flour .,. say 50 50 .,. the batter becomws thicker.,. less light n crispy/fluffy .,. if this is too thick make it 70 SR to 30% plain .,. or even 80 20
    different batter consistency.,.,. worth a try

we used to go deep sea fishing off the Coast of Whitby 25 miles out over ship wrecks and such
    12 hour trips.,. catch cod as big as your pet dog .,.,. 100 pound breaking strain leaders smashed to bits and your arms pulled off if you hooked up into a big conger eel sticking its head out of its hidy hole and grabbing your bait .,. or grabbing the fish on your hook that had taken your bait .,.
    my Brother got the reel ripped out of the metal reel seat fixings one time .,.

...any way one of those cod .,.,.3 inch thick fillet 6 inch by 6 inch slab .,. cooked in said batter mix above .,.,. best fish in batter i ever had .,.,. cost £30 per trip .,. some 20 years back .,.,. i used to keep the size of fish i wanted 8 to 10 pounders .,. nice fillets .,.,. bigger or smaller thrown back .,.,. still taking home 50 pound plus of the stuff for the freezer n friends .,.,.
    happy days .,.,.
  • Kingalfred
    this type of boat
    this size of fish..
    not my photos..uzo56s4e1o9lezvo.jpg
    cjpfyacmzb6jid4j.jpg
  • godseeconomy
    My departed father used to eat chilli padi with his guinness. he swore it was good for health!
    Add coca cola or pepsicola into your chicken casserole.
  • Kingalfred
    .,.,.,. ive boiled a gammon off in coke or fresh orange for an hour to sweeten and drain salt befor putting int toven .,.,. for a couple of hours .,. Boxing Day Dinner .,.
  • Paulgro
    It tastes pretty good. She just uses enough to get some beer taste.
  • Paulgro
    People do it for the taste. Any alcohol is evaporated so it is alcohol free.
  • charsocal
    - I can't find the recipe.
  • Bob Dack
    Top of the page it tells you what to do?
  • Krystyna
    Nice size of a fish!!!!
  • Kingalfred
    pfwn8ix6xmuyn5ed.png
    ay8g9a9gdd1x8rup.png

Krystyna
    iv'e never caught anything this size .,. World record for Norway i believe .,.,.
    worth a pretty penny down the fish shop
    but i would've thrown this back if it survived the haul from the depths .,.,.,.
  • Kingalfred
    Rod n Line .,.,.,.
  • Bob Dack

Not sure how we got from Cakes to fish but
    Okay let's turn this into a recipe to cook thread?
  • Paulgro
    Seems Kingalfred caught a minnow!
  • Bob Dack
    See that's what the recipe's for!
  • frances turkel
    Kingalfre cool Cat I love Cat Fish lets have a fish fry....
  • Paulgro
    Beer & Cheese Soup

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups each - diced carrots, diced onion, diced celery
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 3 cups chicken broth
    • 2 cups beer
    • 1/3 cup butter
    • 1/3 cup flour
    • 4 cups whole milk
    • 6 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
    • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
    • Your favorite Snyder’s of Hanover® Flavored Pretzel Pieces

Direction

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together carrots, onion, celery, and garlic.
    2. Stir in hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper; pour in broth and beer; simmer until vegetables are tender. Remove pan from heat.
    3. While the soup is simmering heat butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring until the flour is light brown. While continually whisking, add milk; keep whisking until thickened. Remove from heat, and gradually stir in cheese. Keep warm.
    4. Stir beer mixture into cheese mixture. Add Dijon mustard, Worcestershire, and dry mustard. Bring to a simmer, and cook 10 minutes. Serve topped with Pretzel Pieces
  • Bob Dack
    Cranberry Pineapple Salad
    Festive for Christmas or Thanksgiving

Ingredients
    2 small pkg strawberry jello
    1 c. boiling water
    1 lb can whole cranberry sauce
    Dash salt
    ¼ chopped nuts (I use walnuts) to taste
    1 c. thin sliced celery ¼ ‘ long pieces
    ½ c. Port wine or Ginger Ale
    1 TBSP lemon juice
    1 14 oz. can crushed pineapple

Method
    Dissolve jello in boiling water
    Add pineapple, syrup, wine, cranberries, lemon juice & salt
    Chill (I put in fridge freezer for about 30+ minutes)
    When mixture begins to thicken, fold in celery and chopped nuts.

Pour into mold or put in clear glass or chrystal bowl,
    Chill until firm.
  • godseeconomy
    Interesting. Thanks.
  • Donna
    Wow, does that ever look good!
  • godseeconomy
    Ground beef same as minced beef here in UK? Looks appetising.
  • Carol hughes

Love crock pot recipes
    This looks really good
  • cjsenour
    For a surprise ,meatball, put a cube of cheese inside, covering well with the meat.
  • cjsenour
    Add a can of Pepsi or Coke to pork roast in the slow cooker. Makes the meat really tender and juicy.
  • Carol hughes

I will need to try this
  • godseeconomy
    You can do this with chicken or beef too
  • Bob Dack
    bt1odd4555ccuqau.jpg
    Don't panic if you can't find bread in the shops, just make your own in the slow cooker

Literally The Best Bread Recipe Ever (Adapted)

1/2 cup warm water
    2 cups of warm milk
    2 Tbsp melted UNSALTED butter
    1-3 tablespoons of sugar (add more if you like sweeter bread)
    3 tablespoons of active dry yeast (conservative side)
    6 cups of whole wheat flour (or 3 cups whole wheat & 3 cups all-purpose flour)
    2 teaspoons of salt
    1 teaspoon of baking powder

Grab a big bowl, and stir the 1/2 cup of warm water, 1 (or more) tablespoons of sugar, 3 tablespoons of yeast. Wait for 5 minutes (no longer - mine went all over the place the first time!) – it should be frothy on the top. While your waiting warm 2 cups of milk and 2 Tbsp of butter in microwave.

Next, add milk and butter to yeast mixture. Using a standing mixer slowly add the 6 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Mix and knead the dough. (I used dough hook once I had incorporated most of the flour for about 5 minutes then kneaded by hand for another 5-7 minutes.)

Line your slow cooker with cooking (baking) paper and place in your round ball of dough. I will rise in the slow cooker as it heats through. Cook on High power for 2- 2.5 hours. Start checking at every 7-10 minutes until top is sponge-y but springs back and no moisture on the top. The bottom should be a nice brown colour as well as sides. I put mine (just the loaf) in the oven on broil/grill for less than 5 minutes to get a nice crusty top too!

NOTE: You can use a tea towel on top if you want to avoid condensation dripping in down on the loaf. I haven't tried this myself - let me know how you go!

*Use UNSALTED butter or adjust extra salt added!

*Add MORE sugar if you want a sweet bread like in the shops.

*If you can't or are not skilled/practiced at kneading try the 50:50 ratio with whole wheat flour and all purpose flour, otherwise you will end up with a very dense loaf.

*Make sure it is completely cooked through - my loaf took 2 1/2 hours!!

Slice and enjoy as whole grain toast or sandwich bread!
  • Bob Dack
    Spoon over Potatoes,Rice or Paste for effect!

s2amd3yq078pixku.jpg
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.