• Ashok Bhatia
    What is Holi
    Holi, known as the ‘festival of colors’ is celebrated on the full moon day falling in the month of Phalguna (Feb-Mar). Various colors and water are thrown on each other, amidst loud music, drums etc to celebrate Holi. Like many other festivals in India, Holi also signifies a victory of good over evil. As per ancient mythology, there is a legend of King Hiranyakashipu with who Holi is associated.
    History Of Holi
    Hiranyakashipu was a king in ancient India who was like a demon. He wanted to take revenge for the death of his younger brother who was killed by Lord Vishnu. So to gain power, the king prayed for years. He was finally granted a boon. But with this Hiranyakashipu started considering himself God and asked his people to worship him like God. The cruel king has a young son named Prahalad, who was a great devotee of Lord Vishnu. Prahalad had never obeyed his father’s order and kept on worshiping Lord Vishnu. The King was so hard hearted and decided to kill his own son, because he refused to worship him. He asked his sister ‘Holika’, who was immune to fire, to sit on a pyre of fire with Prahalad in her lap. Their plan was to burn Prahalad. But their plan did not go through as Prahalad who was reciting the name of Lord Vishnu throughout was safe, but Holika got burnt to ashes. The defeat of Holika signifies the burning of all that is bad. After this, Lord Vishnu killed Hiranyakashipu. But it is actually the death of Holika that is associated with Holi. Because of this, in some states of India like Bihar , a pyre in the form of bonfire is lit on the day before Holi day to remember the death of evil.

70v2ihigsn8hito3.jpg
    00d57o8w1khosuju.jpg
    9y9yu7ryzmqnweyj.jpg
    bs4bq6my0mb8zfp9.jpg
    21g8l7sr2wlutwpu.jpg
    rbaqug1xw55dk4x1.jpg

Hi Friends,
    Happy and colourful holi to all My Univox Friends, Univox Admin , Staff & My indians friends in India and abroad.
  • Paulgro
    Happy HOLI to you. Sounds great!!
  • Krystyna
    What a great story.
    yx6ckfnaoce70tgm.jpg
  • sascha
    Thank you for sharing! It is interesting.
  • godseeconomy
    Happy Holi. Enjoy sprinkling colours around and on people!! Do you consume colourful foodstuff, sweets, etc., at this time too?
  • Debasmita
    Happy Holi..
  • Mayin Puri
    Holi is one of my favourite festivals.... joy with colours!
  • Ashok Bhatia
    thank you my friends
  • Ashok Bhatia
    yes we eat gujiya a kind of sweet on the holi day celebration.
    1r1n9hk4r82nb5ki.jpg
  • Ashok Bhatia
    thanks for your reply
  • godseeconomy
    Looks so tempting. I could murder one right now!! Do you put pounded peanuts inside gujiya?
  • Ashok Bhatia
    yes all kind of dry fruit mix . If you want to eat gujiya then you need to come to my city . Or if possible i can send you thru shipment.
    X-)
  • godseeconomy
    Thanks! India is one place I need to visit. I've ever landed there at the airport in the 70s!!!!
  • frances turkel
    OUR Country's Colorful Festival is Today called "HOLI"
    That looks good Have fun on your holiday
  • Gitty4
    I have always wanted to visit during Holi, love I ndia and am looking forward to visiting again in the future! Hope you had a great time!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.