• Paulgro
    Dracula played by Bella Lugosi or Christopher Lee.
  • frances turkel
    Paulgro
    Dracula yeah he was pretty cool
    Boris Karloff was amazing in his productions.....
  • Paulgro
    Boris did a good Frankenstein Monster.
  • frances turkel
    Paulgro Yes he was amazing ...We watch his whole series! Showing my age again oh well!

Have to go make dinner.....
  • Paulgro
    Many of the old timers had to be good since there was very little in special effects back then. They knew how to scare you just by acting and making you believe.
  • Kingalfred
    Jason Vorhees..Michael Myers..David the werewolf in London..Kate Beckinsale in Underworld..i dont know his name or if indeed he had one...but..the monster in Jeepers Creepers kinda scary scenario.. The scariest of them all Chitty Chitty Bang Bangs child catcher....when younger..the Mummy was scary to me..apart from Brendan Frasier..not really scary but watchable ...no one has taken it on for a remake in many a year..and the remainder of the trio of yester year... Frankensteins Monster... Many a remake.. The best.. Willy wonkas version lol.. Young Frankenstein... "Whos brain is this...iunno...Abby Normals" ?
  • J Zerbs
    Not my favorite but always thought Nosferatu was creepy looking, especially since it was from 1922. Nosferatu%206.jpg
  • Paulgro
    He was a keeper in horror movies. I always liked the old films because they made you scared. The newer ones rely too much on special effects. Don't get me wrong the ones like Halloween or Nightmare on Elm street are scary but more because of special effects.
  • J Zerbs
    I agree a lot of newer horror movies rely on special effects or blood and gore.
    The original Halloween didn't really have much special effects or blood and gore in it but still was good. It was made for very little money, so that's probably why it didn't but sometimes movies are better when they leave things to the imagination instead of showing them.
    The budget was so low instead of coming up with a original mask for Michael Myers they bought a William Shatner mask and painted it white.
  • Paulgro
    I forget the directors name now but he said he used lighting for his scary scenes. Jamie Lee Curtis was a new actress at the time and did a great job also. Michael Myers was played by the sound man because they couldn't afford anyone else to do it. I heard about the mask and how it was bought down the street from where they were filming. It shows you don't need a fortune to make a great horror movie.
  • J Zerbs
    John Carpenter was the director, Jaime Lee Curtis was new and it's arguable the only reason she got the part was because her mom was in Psycho. The music also helped make the movie.
  • Paulgro
    I think everything about it was good. Yes you couldn't beat the music for that type of film. There was a lot of ad-libbing (sp) in the film like when Myers stabbed the guy to the door and looked at him then moved his head from side to side. Donald Pleasents was the only named actor and said he would do any remakes until he died. That he did.
  • Paulgro
    two old timers and the guy with the flying ball. I can not think of the name of that movie.
  • Krystyna
    Wasn't the title of the movie Phantasm staring Angus Scrimm known by this (his) screen name?
  • Paulgro
    That was it! Thank you because that was driving me crazy!!
  • Bob Dack

I think he was referred to as "The Tall Man"
    Do you remember the the Description of the little Jawa-like critters.
    the kid tries to describe them says:-
    "They're Small & brown and low to the Ground"
  • Paulgro
    He's does get nasty at times! Freddy Kruger is another one.
  • Paulgro
    I found this and thought it was cool to read.

Halloween originally started as nothing more than an autumn harvest festival. It was originally called Samhain meaning "end of summer" in ancient Celtic Ireland. Today, the holiday is associated with ghosts, costumes and candy. And practically as long as there has been a movie industry, it has tried to capitalize on the popularity of this ancient holiday.

Today's Random Fact:

Boris Karloff, who starred as Frankenstein, had to wear 22-pound size 24 boots. He also donned two pairs of pants with steel struts shoved in them, and a double-thickness quilted suit.

Karloff's facial makeup was one-sixteenth of an inch thick, and the bolts on the side of his neck left long-term scars.

Bette Davis wanted the part of Mrs. Frankenstein, but was turned down because she was "too aggressive."

Among the lighting tricks in the classic film Dracula: Twin pencil-spotlights were shined in Bela Lugosi's eyes to give Count Dracula his legendary hypnotic stare.

Bonus Fact:

The Castle Dracula and Carfax Abbey sets were so expensive to build that Universal Pictures kept and reused them. You can spot them in numerous Universal films of the '30s.

In Boris Karloff's second big monster flick The Mummy, he had to be wrapped every day in linen and gauze, and was covered with mud.

Lou Chaney, Jr.'s werewolf makeup in The Wolf Man took five hours to apply every day.

The werewolf costume was actually made of yak hair.
  • Donna
    That's pretty cool! I meant to say a while back, that all this monster talk brings back memories of the monster magazines my brother used to get every so often when we were kids. Good memories!
  • Paulgro
    I think everyone likes to be scared and whether it's old or new monsters they seem to do the job well.
  • Donna
    Yeah! Sometimes it's not even monsters. Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" scared me when I was a kid.
  • Paulgro
    Hitchcock made really good movies and most of his mysteries bordered on being horror in a way like psycho!
  • frances turkel
    Donna Yes this brings back a lot of memories....we went to Jerry's oldest son's house for
    Halloween The kids look cute and Jr. dressed up to give out candy....he's a bigger baby then the kids !Hope everyone had a nice day and evening and will have many memories to look back on for years to come/
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.