• Bob Dack
    Southdale 1956 Richfield Edina Shopping Mall History Video

1st enclosed mall.
    Memories that go way back in time.
    Did you ever visit the mall in the 50's and 60's?
  • Donna
    Wow that was cool! I wasn't even around till the late 60's! But it's cool that this mall is still open! Back when I was a kid going to the mall, Dayton's was Hudson's.
    I remember as a kid, when I was 11 or 12, my parents or my friends' parents dropping us off at the mall for the day. Back then, kids knew how to act. I wouldn't dream of doing that with my daughter in today's world! She knows how to act - it's the other people there - adults included that I worry about!
  • Bob Dack
    I remember many indoor and strip malls that were quite fasinating>
    Here in Edmonton our Big Mall was for the longest time the biggest in the world till they built The Mall of America.I never knew you could have so many shoe store in one place and still stay in business?{lol}
  • frances turkel
    Bob Dack Simply beautiful...The only time I saw such beautiful place is Rocker fellow Center in Manhattan, New York City.... I wish I could go there ( in the picture I'm talking about!
  • Paulgro
    I was born in 1949 in Maryland an was 6 years old when we moved to NYC so I'm not sure either place had Malls yet. I guess the first time I saw a real Mall was in NJ around 1967.
  • Bob Dack
    Arnold's "Fabulous Fifties" Drive-In (Decatur, Ind.)

attachment-image-7070a493-dacb-46c5-bb71-23990a1c5e48.jpg

We hope you like 1950s music because you’ll get a dose of it at Arnold's Drive-in in Decatur, IN.
    Arnold’s hosts everything from cruise-ins to Elvis-impersonator nights, so if you’re looking for an
    escape to the 1950s and 60s, this place with do it for you.
  • Bob Dack
    Dari-ette Drive-In (Saint Paul, Minn.)

attachment-image-f26e17c3-906f-420e-8c77-742b05f03a2a.jpg

When you’re in a place like Saint Paul, Minnesota, summer seems to come and go rather quickly…
    You’d think it would be tough to run a little drive-in up here, but the Dari-Ette Drive In is a 60 year
    institution up there. Folks mark the opening and closing days on their calendar and the place quickly
    fills up with families, old cars, and poodle skirts as soon as they turn on the gorgeous neon sign for
    the season.
  • Bob Dack
    Rudy's Drive-In (La Crosse, Wis.)

attachment-image-a77fddf6-fa64-4d9b-baba-39c6d874d803.jpg

The drive-in at 10th and La Crosse Streets was built in 1966 and remains the last drive-in owned and operated by the Rudy family. The tradition continues, three generations later...with grandson, Gary.
  • Bob Dack
    The Drive-In (Taylor Falls, MN)

attachment-image-ba915ad3-771f-46b4-8491-e728104a1db2.jpg

There’s nothing about The Drive-In that doesn’t scream 1950s. “You'll find carhops in poodle skirts, homemade root beer and old fashioned, hand-packed burgers!” No wonder the Drive-In in Taylor Falls, MN is consistently getting press as being not only one of the best of the midwest, but of the entire country. Their sister location in Grantsburg, WI is just as charming as well. Weekly cruise-ins keep that location filled with classic cars and just the right retro vibe.
  • Bob Dack
    Gene’s Root Beer (Anderson, IN)
    attachment-image-0f40d9c5-9e15-4842-9498-d3c55a67714c.jpg
    attachment-image-52577105-7ba2-4ac3-8b7d-b72294bac29e.jpg

From the 1950s until the 1990s, Anderson and Muncie Indiana were hotspots for American
    auto manufacturing with both cities pumping out electronics and transmissions for the “Big 3.”
    No surprise then, one of the best drive-ins is in Anderson: Gene's Root Beer. Despite the
    auto business leaving the city gutted, Gene’s has survived as a sweet reminder of a time
    when the people of the city built parts for Chevrolet then drove their own Chevys down to
    Gene’s on Friday nights.
  • Syvynn
    We still have our drive-in here. It's not as cool as those. The girls used to come out on skates a long time ago, but now they just walk... but it's the only place for curbside service from ordering to delivery. The best steak sandwiches and hot fudge sundaes. They just updated enough to allow for debit/credit purchases within the last few years... before that you had one option, cash. Both my aunts worked there when I was young, so I had a permanent picnic table (you could sit curbside in your car or park and sit at the tables under the canopy) for the summers with all the free drinks I wanted (which was great because they had the small circle ice) then in high school a friend worked there so I basically just kept my table and free drinks routine from elementary through high school.

Funny thing is, they never host a car show (classic cars) there. You'd think they would.
  • Bobby Drye
    love blue one. one of my favs!!!
  • Kingalfred
    All you need is a flux capacitor Bob dack ..
  • Paulgro
    Those cars are worth a fortune today!!
  • J Zerbs
    The Avalon in Milwaukee, WI was built in the 1920's and is what's known as a atmospheric theater. I'd go there all the time until it closed in 2001, it reopened last year but I haven't been back yet. l.jpg

https://m.yelp.com/biz/the-avalon-theater-milwaukee
  • frances turkel
    Bob Dack bringing back more memories: I went to Williaums ,Az.
    They have a drive in just like this The Drive-In (Taylor Falls, MN)
  • Bob Dack
    COMPILATION OF OLD VINTAGE DINERS,DRIVE INS,CAFES, AND HANGOUTS*SAAWEET MEMORIES! WOW!

I had read an article about a few people finding these and bringing them back to life?
  • Bob Dack
    Lost in the Fifties

This is good click on the Title Below.

Lost in the Fifties
  • Paulgro
    We went to a Diner today that was in the 50's style with a Jukebox playing 50's songs and the menu looked like a newspaper until you opened it up and there was the menu. It was pretty cool.
  • Bob Dack
    em3yxobynhwhur64.jpg
    Buying a Car in 1950's
  • Bob Dack
    Daytona Beach 1950's

hq3f0ho34slb73wk.jpg
  • Bob Dack
    Those Great 1960's Lunch Counters

9yezg3zw80h55xcx.jpg
  • Bob Dack
    The 1960's Supermarkets

oiuhhr0ypfsh9rdn.jpg
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.