• Syvynn
    @Admin had asked in the last two contests, for participates to post their answer with their email address.

I just wanted to make sure that everyone was aware that posting your email address on this forum is not a good idea. This forum is not secure! Some people think that just because you have to log in to post, means you can't see information unless you're logged in. That is far from the truth.

The following is a screen grab of the Univox Forum, with no one signed in, on a page where members have chosen to post their email address. (Pardon my bad mouse handwriting that says " not that old a post")

gguyls33eagaqzb8.png

w505egu6prh6pb0c.png

zwqlowaj14i6cizt.png

I repeat, this is what ANYONE on the web can see. As proof, you can even see it from a Bing Search
    64ggk2it4qeblzmd.png

Granted that it removes the @ and replaces it with "at" but that is nothing for data miners.

I'm not saying that it's 'easy' to find the email address on the search engine, you have put in certain keywords to find them... the point is that the data you type into the forum is "crawled" by Search Engine Robots/Spiders. The forum should have a robots.txt file at the root directory that tells search engines such as Google, Bing, etc which pages they can't access with crawlers. (if you'd like to understand what I'm talking about - or don't understand at all - you can search for Search Engine Crawlers or Spiders, and I'm sure something out there can explain it better than I do. I know it from experience being a forum web master and moderator in the past) but apparently they don't have that here or chose not to use it. So everything you type in is indexed on the search engines and anyone can search and stumble upon your conversations.

So post your email addresses at your own risk here. I just wanted to help you be informed. :)
  • sascha
    You are right about that. Many people trust internet sites with their personal information. Survey companies have gotten into trouble for asking for private information.One particular crawler that is very damaging is "webcrawler". When you do searches on Yahoo, MSN, Bing, and Google "webcrawler" shows up often as a returned search result.
  • Syvynn
    I agree, they trust them blindly sometimes. However, I think they expect a certain amount of trust when they have to log in, such as the forum here. If you log in, surely your information is safe... and it could be with better measures taken by the admin, they just aren't right now.
  • Paulgro
    If you like Spam and harassment the best way to get it is by posting email addresses on a site like this. This site is not secure at all.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.