• Crafty501
    This is a picture of one of our rescue dogs - hopefully it comes through
    phoebe1.jpghttp://mentalfloss.com/node/78440/take

I got 4 out of 5 - things are improving.
  • nineiron
    Nice looking dog.
    I got them all correct this time, thanks for posting
  • Donna
    I got all 5 correct!
    Your dog looks like a big cuddly teddy bear! Chow mixed with what? And what is his/her name? I would love to have a dog, but we just can't afford it right now, so instead, we have 3 hermit crabs. They actually belong to my 10 year old daughter, but guess who is taking care of them. They sure aren't cuddly, but they are pretty cool to watch!
  • Crafty501

We rescued Phoebe when she was 6 years old. Some idiot was using her to breed and make money on her puppies. We lost her a few years ago to stomach cancer. She was a purebred chow.
  • Donna
    Ok! I thought she might have been mixed with something because I've really never seen a chow in that color before. She was very pretty! I've only seen chows in black and that darker reddish/brown color.
  • Crafty501

A couple of months before we rescued Phoebe the light blond chow, we rescued a deep red chow. She was about 1 year old at the time. Her name was Koko and both dogs were alpha females and hated each other. Fortunately at the time we had a house with a finished downstairs and Koko loved being down there and Phoebe preferred upstairs, so it worked out. We lost Koko about a year after loosing Phoebe. Here's a picture of Koko

Kokopixs0001.jpg
  • frances turkel
    I am so sorry for your loss I still tring to recover from losing Channa; just when I think I'm over our loss it hits me like a rock
  • Krystyna
    My doggies Brandy and Cognac were mix chow and german shepherd;they had this reddish coat tinted with lighter color but not as fluffy as chow.Crafty501,I'm sorry for the loss of your poochies.
    Here they are
    o6dh5r4p66h9vij9.jpg
  • charsocal
    - So beautiful and I'm so sorry.
  • charsocal
    Got so wrapped up looking at the babies, forgot to say got 4 out of 5 correct. A record for me, YEA !
  • Crafty501

Their gorgeous. Did either of them have a black tongue?
  • Donna
    For sure, they leave their paw prints all over our hearts! And it wasn't even that long ago that you lost your dog. I remember reading your post.
    I had a shepherd mix named Shanna. (Uh-oh. I think this is going to turn into a really long post! I feel a tribute to Shanna coming.)
    Shanna was a stray. A friend and I found her wandering the side of a busy road on our way home from eating out. It was a struggle to get a hold of her. She was doing that doggy thing where she would stand still and look at you, let you come towards her and then turn around and trot away, and then stop and look at you.
    Repeat the above maybe three times, and I finally got down on my hands and knees and she let me inch my way up to her, crawling. My friend and I got her in the car. The dog must have been into garbage looking for stuff to eat, because she smelled so bad that we were both gagging in the car and had to roll the front windows all the way down to keep from losing our dinner.
    My friend and I were sitting on my front porch with the dog, and she kept saying that she had a feeling that this was going to be my dog, that I would end up keeping her. I kept telling her she was crazy and that my parents were going to kill me for bringing this dog home. I sent my friend into the house to get my dad. I was probably 23 or 24 at the time. Still lived with my parents, so if they did not want a dog in the house, then no dog!
    I really don't remember my dad's initial reaction to the dog. I think I asked him if she could just at least stay for a few days and that I would take her back to the area I found her in and walk her through some of the subdivisions in the area to see if she belonged to anyone or if anyone recognized her. I also told him I would put a "found" ad in the paper. He and my mom agreed to that, so I had her for a few days, anyway.
    It was obvious that we had to give her a bath. She was too big to fit in the laundry tub in the basement, so my dad ran a hose from the laundry tub to the basement floor drain and sat with me and the dog and held her still over the drain in the floor and we gave her a bath. (Dad is gone now, and this is one of my warmest and favorite memories of him. Him, me, and a dirty dog.)
    We did put an ad in the paper. Nothing too specific in the ad. Something like "Found. Female medium sized dog. The main cross streets near where we found her, and our phone number." My dad handled the calls that came in and a few did.
    Now by this time, my mom was taking to the dog and I think my dad bonded with her that first night giving her a bath, because all three of us were hoping that no one would claim her.
    One call came in and the person wanted to know what the dog looked like. My dad told him, "No, you describe the dog that you lost and I will tell you whether the dog we have is yours or not."
    Another call came in and this guy was talking about how he has three dogs and they're always getting out. I was like, ok, irresponsible dog owner, here. You're not getting her back even if she is yours. (I think we were in contact with that guy a couple of times because he mentioned that the dog he lost was three years old and had had puppies within the last few months. So I took the dog to the vet to get an estimate of her age and to get a professional opinion on whether she had ever had puppies. The vet estimated her to be around 1 1/2 years, no more than two years old, and that she had never had puppies.)
    So either this guy called us back or maybe my dad exchanged numbers with him, and gave him a call and explained that this was not his dog because the dog we had was no more than two years old and had never had puppies. The guy got mad because my dad would not let him come over and see the dog, and my dad was like, "No. Based on what our vet said we're sure this is not your dog." So then the guy threatened that he was going to drive through our neighborhood to see if he could find her and take her. My dad asked how he would find where we live and the guy said, "Well, your ad says the cross streets you live by." My dad told the guy that those streets are where the dog was found, not where we live. Didn't hear any thing back from him.
    The best (and maybe the worst) call came about two months after we had the dog and had named her Shanna. A woman called and explained that she had lost a dog, but had been out of town for the last few weeks and was going through the lost and found ads and saw our ad. We were devastated at the fact that this might be her dog. So my dad told her that if this was her dog, we've had her for two months and she owes us for a large bag of dog food, a new kennel, a vet visit for shots, two groomings, and a two month boarding fee. The woman told my dad, "Oh geez, forget it. Never mind." Then she hung up on him.
    That's how Shanna came to be ours. I don't want anyone to think that we would deliberately keep someone's dog if we knew it to be theirs. Shanna had two distinctive things that any caring pet owner would have offered us to prove that she was theirs. First she had a chipped front tooth, and given that the tooth was dead/discolored, it had been chipped for some time. She also had a tan stripe that ran right down the center of her nose. No callers offered this information.
    We had Shanna for about 6 years. That would have made her around 8 years old when I noticed that she was slowing down on our walks and that she began to cough after exerting herself. I took her to the vet and based on her symptoms, they did an x-ray and it turned out she was loaded with cancer. We were devastated. She also developed two masses, one on either side of her neck.
    We only had Shanna for about three more weeks after she was diagnosed. During those three weeks, she was never alone. We loved her and babied her during what time she had left. She couldn't handle long walks anymore, so my mom and I would put her in the car and take her to her favorite field where she loved to sniff around. She wasn't eating well anymore, and I wanted her to keep up her strength as long as possible, so two or three times, I stopped and ordered her prime rib dinners on my way home from work, just to keep her interested in food.
    It became increasingly difficult for her to get comfortable and go to sleep because of pressure on her windpipe from the tumors in her neck. Through all of this I took her to the vet a few times for them to just evaluate her condition and to give me their honest opinion on whether she was suffering or not. She never seemed to be in pain. She was just getting old and tired very quickly. I remember praying every night that she would die during the night, in her sleep, peacefully next to me, so I would not have to make the decision that I knew was inevitable.
    Shanna was getting weaker and one day, I went out with her while she did her business, and she collapsed and had a hard time getting up and I had to help her. I knew it was time. The vet did not try to talk me out of it, but told me I could support her with a towel under her belly to help her get around. It's not that I did not want to do that for her, but I wanted her to leave this world before her condition started to cause her pain, and I knew that keeping her here was for me, not her.
    She has been gone for probably about 16 years now, and I still shed a tear or two while typing this. I hope I did not bore all of you to tears. If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll post one of her.
  • Krystyna
    No black tongues....
  • Krystyna
    Oh,what a story;sad,happy,sad...If you want to post picture then click on the paper clip graphic(upload files) that's above the reply box,then browse your files and open whatever you want to attach to your comment....
  • godseeconomy
    Used to have dogs as pets as a child. (Had an Alsatian once as well). But developed allergy to their dander (cats too) in the last 3 decades. Don't know what brought that on. Hormonal changes? So now I can't get near them at all. Get wheezy and find it difficult to breathe near them I get worried when using public transport and a commuter brings in their dog or cat into the carriage I'm in. I would move to another carriage.
  • Crafty501

Beautiful tribute Donna. I think it was Karma - you were meant to find Shanna and give her the love she deserved. Good for you. (Y)
  • frances turkel
    Donna...You gave her all your love and a beautiful last days of life and I praise you for taking her in as sick as she was...I feel you went through exactly what I went through and my baby was Channa; so, much the same...Wow!...When I adoted her my boyfriend at the time said your nuts adoting and paying all this $$ for a sick dog!!! and I just said" SHE'S GOING TO BE THE BEST LOVABLE DOG WE EVER COULD IMAGINE!" AND SHE WAS! JUST LIKE YOUR BABY!
    YOU didn't bore anyone your sharing valuable memories; and sharing Life and thats what G-d put us on earth to do! Thank you so Much! As I've said in the past this is our Family community we should always be here for each other and Do Not Forget that ! Thank you! Have a great weekend!...
  • J Zerbs

Sorry for your losses. I thought your story about shanna was lovely and it brought tears to my eyes. It reminded me of my dog Sophie who I had to put to sleep about a year and half ago. She was a German Shepard and Shiba Inu mix, i got her from my mom's second cousin when she was about 1.5 years old. Her husband was abusive and would hit her and Sophie so she left the @$#hole ( excuse my language but IMO a man who abuses women and animals deserves to be called that). She was moving into a apartment and couldn't have a dog so i took her in. For the first week or two after I got her she would get scared if you even tried to pet her. Her ears would go down and her tail would go between her legs like she thought she was going to get beaten. I had her for a little over 13 years but had to put her down because she had cancer and arthritis so bad that she could barely walk at the end and I could tell she was in pain. She was kind of a character, whenever we had BBQ's outside you'd have to put your beer somewhere where she couldn't reach. If you left it on the ground or edge of the table she would purposely knock over the can/bottle/cup and try to drink the beer ( gives new meaning to the phrase boozehound). Also when we first got her we'd keep her biscuits in a cabinet at floor level but she'd open the door and sneak biscuits and then close it so we had to get one of those safety latches like you put on drawers/cabinets when you have a baby in the house. The last 1.5-2 weeks before we put her down she would barely want to eat so I knew it was time. For her final meal I split a steak with her and let her have half a beer, she was always trying to drink beer but I'd never let her. I normally wouldn't give her people food or let her have beer ( besides the occasions when she'd get a little after knocking a beer over) but since she was about to go I figured why not, let her enjoy her last meal.

Here's a picture of her towards the end.

3c9rnoco0nc8i0i0.png

and one when she was younger ( she wanted a belly rub)

h0in5nc6w5awkrk4.png
  • frances turkel
    J Zerbs....Thank you for reading all our posts and adding you story about "Sophie"; we do share our most precious memories with each other I read some of our stories to Jerry and he couldn't believe how we become so emotional with each other....KEEP SHARING WERE ALL LISTENING...
  • Crafty501

Great rescue story. Thank you for taking the time to share your story and your lovely pictures
  • Krystyna
    You rescued Sophie from that brut that wouldn't spare humans or animals from his heavy hands/fists blows,you rightfully named him as you did because he deserves that.Anyhow,you gave Sophie good home for so many years,all the love ,security and care that she and any pet deserves.I'm sorry that she too crossed the rainbow bridge but I'm sure she was happy with her "last meal',RIP in peace beautiful Sophie
  • Donna
    Wanted to post a picture of Shanna to go with her story (for anyone who didn't read it and wants to, it's the post above that's really long.)edgmskwlq6n5lvhm.jpg
  • Krystyna
    She's beautiful!
  • Donna
    Thanks! I always loved how the black on her chest had such a defining line against the cream. She always looked like she was wearing a fur stole around her neck/shoulders. If I remember right, too, I took this pic of her right after a bath, so she was extra fluffy here. Loooong time ago!
  • Donna
    All of our "babies" pictured are/were beautiful!
  • frances turkel
    beautiful baby .....
  • Syvynn
    Shanna was gorgeous! Love that mink stole!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.