• Admin
    p85tp5pxyxc6t3t6.jpg

Why do people use proxies and VPNs?
    Some survey takers may wish to conceal their country of origin so that they can join survey panels and take surveys that they would otherwise be ineligible for. Others may wish to keep their activities online in general hidden, so they use proxies and VPN services. Still others may be accessing surveys from a workplace which may by default use a VPN.

Exactly what are proxies and VPNs?

An open proxy is a server that acts as an intermediary between you and the internet. This go-between will have its own IP address so anytime you or others use the proxy, you will all appear to have the same IP address. Proxies do not typically encrypt data and are less resource-intensive than VPNs.
    A VPN is a Virtual Private Network and an encrypted “tunnel” between you and the host server. Websites you’ve visited are hidden to an outsider, as the only thing that’s visible to your internet service provider is that you’ve connected to a VPN. Your activities while using it are completely out of site. Note that as a security measure, many workplaces have their own VPNs.

Why you should avoid using free proxy and VPN services

At best, free services are often run by unscrupulous people who will mine your personal data and will start feeding you advertisements based on your preferences. At worst, you may have any credit card information you enter online stolen, and your computer may become infected with malware or viruses. Many of these services will at the very least, keep basic logs of what their users are doing online while others may go as far as installing keystroke logging software on their subscriber’s computers when the proxy/VPN software is downloaded.
    Running a proxy service is not free, so the people offering such services will ensure that their end users are covering their expenses (and then some!) Before subscribing to such services, you might want to re-evaluate why you feel the need to fully conceal your identity online to begin with.

VPNs in the workplace

Many employers use a VPN mainly in an effort to control the websites their employees have access to. Social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter are frequently blocked through use of a workplace VPN. Although taking surveys at work via your employer’s VPN may not present problems on the survey company’s side of things, bear in mind that your employer may be monitoring the websites you access and your online activities in general.

How survey sites can identify proxy users

Although survey companies know that IP addresses eventually change, many will still monitor their members IP addresses for inconsistencies. For instance, if when you join a survey site, you say you’re from the United States, but your IP address is from Germany one day, and Canada the next, you may raise some red flags.
    Proxy services also tend to use certain ranges of IP addresses. So any given service will often use the same range of IPs which are published in lists and easily obtained by anyone including market research companies. If a survey panel knows the range of IPs one of these services uses, they may block the range entirely, thereby blocking you.

Consequences of using a proxy

You may luck out and avoid experiencing anything especially negative by using a proxy, but be forewarned that if you use one, you may be putting your survey earnings or your account at risk; if you try to request payment, a survey site may ask you some questions to verify your identity, or at worst, may entirely cancel your account.
    If you’re going to use a proxy service, be sure to read the survey site’s terms of service agreement, as sometimes proxy usage is listed as a service that is explicitly forbidden when used in conjunction with a survey site.

Still want to hide your identity?

If one of the reasons you prefer to use proxies is to hide your identity online, but you still enjoy taking surveys, you might want to check out Surveyeah. They are the only survey site we are aware of where you can take surveys without providing any contact information besides your postal code, email, gender and year of birth.
    Alternatively, Innopoll will allow you to join their panel with just your email address, though you may be asked to supply more personal information later.
    Although we don’t recommend that you access either of these websites using a proxy or VPN, they are certainly friendlier than other survey sites in terms of demonstrating their respect for user privacy.
    If you still insist on using a proxy or VPN service, we recommend that you disable it when you join a new survey site or are accessing surveys, so as to avoid potential problems down the road.
    p5jp71zqky7fzjp7.png
    PS- The blog is originally published in surveypolice.
  • Crafty501
    Great information Admin. Thank you for sharing it with us.
  • Krystyna
    Although it doesn't apply to me because I'm not hiding behind any shield but it's great information and fair warning for all.
  • godseeconomy
    All this is beyond my understanding. Not computer savvy. Any changes I need to ask my daughter for permission as I don't want to crash the computer as I've done it before, not knowing what I was really doing!!
  • bear
    great info
  • sascha
    I can understand part of it. Verizon was notorious for changing the countries people were accessing the internet from. That's why I dropped them, not to mention the fact that they were stealing money from me and it took me 18 months to get it back.Actually, that's not exactly how it works. Internet providers, especially Verizon, change a computer's "location" every time you log- on to the internet. With the internet provider that I am using, whether it's at home or at work, it almost never shows my proper physical location. I am not using a proxy deliberately. This is done by the internet service provider of which I have no control. For example, I logged on an hour ago. I live in New York state. According, to my homepage, my internet provider says I am in Ashburn, Virginia. Yesterday, it said I was in Kansas.
  • sascha
    You most likely did not cause your computer to crash. It most likely was caused by something else.
  • sascha
    I didn't mean that they change it every time you log -on....some do some just change it in between. Verizon literally changed it every single time and were very proud of admitting that to me. I live in the US and while I was on the phone with Verizon, questioning them about something, my screen suddenly indicated that I was logging on from Thailand. When I asked how that happened, they said that they do it deliberately to protect the user.
  • Christina
    Thanks for the info. I think I understood most of it.
  • Rohinton Jamshed Homavazir
    This is very good information . i am not very tech savy but i get the gist of it .
  • Rhawnie
    It really pays to stop and read. I never read any of this before and I don't use a proxy or VPN but I know now that I will never consider it either. This is very good information especially for those of us doing surveys online or having any kind of financial info on our computers. I'm really grateful for this info and thank you all for providing it here for all to read. I'm really glad I read it.
  • Kingalfred
    Attachment
    Screenshot_2017-02-23-04-27-42 (77K)
  • Admin
    Well what you are trying to convey through your message? you are training the people against our compliance and terms.This is a strict warning to write these kind of message here or else we have to take stringent action against you.
  • Kingalfred
    I was merely explaining to the people who didnt understand what VPN. are and why people use them..why they hide IP and what people get up to..i am training no body ..obviously you think vpn a threat. Or they wouldnt be this post..i never made the
    post Admin..you brought light to the dangers..why make this post..why keep this post active..if my indepth explanation is a threat..just delete the entire thing..
    Im sorry my intelligence on the matter was overly explained..
    I simply responded... Delete the post...delete my responce...
  • Kingalfred
    ..... Saved you the trouble and did it myself
  • Kingalfred
    ....like any one pays attention to me anyways...
  • frances turkel
    "Admin; I receive the 14 points email and now I'm still waiting for my master card for $ 25.50 minus $ 4.95 since its going to be a physical card mailed to my home address. Thank You for your help.
  • frances turkel
    "Kingalfred; I listen to all the different things you have posted on our community board so don't get so angry just keep doing your survey's and hang in ...ok catch you tomorrow have a great evening!!
  • Kingalfred
    Thanks Frances
    Just dont see why i got repremanded for an explanation about a post i merely responded to..i didnt bring up the subject
    Only relayed it to the people who replied they didnt know what VPN was all about...
  • frances turkel
    [Admin;="Kingalfred; You should put in the rules DO NOT USE VPN THEN NEW SURVEY TAKERS WOULD KNOW FROM THE START!
  • Admin
    Anyways we have system in place to detect that deviation too. :)
  • frances turkel
    "Admin; Thank you just trying to Help make things easier!
  • Admin
    Thankyou so much for all the support and help, we do value and appreciate the help received from your end. Thankyou
  • sascha
    I have a question - I do not use a VPN or proxy deliberately for any reason. My question is... What about when there are changes in ISP when someone travels out of state? For example, When I travel out of state, sometimes I take my laptop with me and check for surveys from my destination. I use the internet service from whatever hotel I am staying at.
  • Admin
    thats a interesting questions, for this we have a filter to verify your details then allows you to take the surveys and do not block you. So we have system in place to get all the unnecessary filters out of system. Thats we always insist to fill your profile details correctly,
  • sascha
    Thank you very much for your response! I live in New York but sometimes I go to other states such as Pennsylvania or Kansas. That is why I asked. I live near the border of Canada, so I have taken my laptop with me to there as well.
  • Admin
    We really appreciate that you did ask this question, its really important we also do not block our beloved members,.Thanks
  • Cotto98
    Informative share. I have also been using the free vpn server software but I use that just to protect my identity when accessing free public WIFI networks. But still you are absolutely right that people must follow the guidelines when using VPNs.
  • Sonu Agal
    Really great information. This is specially for the persons who intentionally wish to join in wrong way.
  • arvel connor
    I'v being using Proxy,Free VPN Services and now I am using Paid VPN service which is always good idea for being anonymous we can't compromise our digital privacy.
  • godseeconomy
    No wonder I'm having problems. Am on holidays in Rome and I can't do surveys!! I was advised to use proxies. Now I understand the dangers and have delete the webpage. I will recommence surveys when back in UK.
  • Donna
    Hope your holiday is wonderful!
  • godseeconomy
    Thanks, enjoying it. How are you, Donna?
  • Donna
    Pretty good! How have you been? I'm enjoying the frigidly cold weather! Hubby just got over the flu, and so far, knock on wood, the kids and I haven't gotten it. Noticed that you haven't been on the forum here in a while. Glad you're ok!
  • godseeconomy
    Due to being away on hols. Glad to hear all's well with you and yours, flu does have knock-on effects for the whole family or when children are in school. They bring the bugs home which others had!
  • mikeee
    frigidly cold ? How bad? A Minnesotan wants to know! lol
  • mikeee
    For working from home, people use VPNs from home so they can get into restricted spaces at work.. Seriously.
  • Kingalfred
    certain sites all over the internet.,.show movies and series.,.from Amazon, Netflx, HBO, pay per veiw.,.these sites are blocked by internet providers.,. geographically banned .,. but for instance if you google .,.,. proxy for putlocker.,. it will bring up a list .,.,. of usable sites where you can watch for free movies that are still in the cinema.,. or series from subscription networks.,.,.
  • Kingalfred
    qudzwjux28nkp1rg.png
    this site for instance .,. it asks you to login, top right corner but you dont need too., you dont have to download or join or give any details whatso ever.,. pages popup.,. adverts.,. just close the popup..stay in the original page.. they stream the best possible copy of the moment, when its HD 720p 1080p its there to watch....ENTIRELY FREE..,
  • Kingalfred
    all this is possible due to people opening back doors on sites...
  • Kingalfred
    u5fq2igd012ktw4e.png
    you need a good pop up blocker .,. close all popups .,. sign up to nothing .,. its all just jargon bumph.,. stay on the movies page
  • Donna
    With the wind chill, highs were only in the single digits today. It could be worse, I know, but I can't stand the cold. the last round of really cold air we had the wind chill was -25, when it went up into the 20s, it felt like spring compared to how cold it was. I can take temps in the 20s or so, but when we get those negative numbers I hate it!
  • mikeee
    They might be talking a lot about temperatures at the Super Bowl this weekend.... I don't think the out of state tailgaters are liking it! We were -9 air temp this morning.. Not sure of the wind chills
  • Donna
    Brrr! Yuck!
  • mikeee
    sounds like it cost upward of $2500 a person to tailgate too!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.