• Admin
    At a glance, the Celsius scale makes more sense than the Fahrenheit scale for temperature measuring. But its creator, Anders Celsius, was an oddball scientist. When he first developed his scale, he made freezing 100 degrees and boiling 0 degrees, or upside down. No one dared point this out to him, so fellow scientists waited until Celsius died to change the scale.
    i4gdiq3k3pwzs843.jpg
  • godseeconomy
    Why no one dared point out his mistakes? Cowards. Thought scientists care for being factual!!
  • J Zerbs
    It wasn't a mistake he made that way on purpose, it just doesn't make much sense.
  • Crafty501
    Anders Celsius (1701-1744)
    I imagine in that time, no one would dare question him. Here is a bit more information -

Anders Celsius, born in Uppsala, was one of a large number of scientists (all related) originating from Ovanåker in the province of Hälsingland. The family name is a latinised version of the name of the vicarage (Högen). His grandfathers were both professors in Uppsala: Magnus Celsius the mathematician and Anders Spole the astronomer. His father, Nils Celsius, was also professor in astronomy. Celsius, who was said to have been very talented in mathematics from an early age, was appointed professor of astronomy in 1730.
  • charsocal
    Can't stand the Celsius, grew up with Fahrenheit and always will.
  • godseeconomy
    Anybody can remember the formula to convert F to C and vice versa without googling for the answer?
    I've clean forgotten it. There's a 'divide by 9/5' somewhere .....
  • J Zerbs
    Fahrenheit = (Celsius x 9/5) + 32
    Celsius= (Fahrenheit -32) x 5/9
  • Crafty501
    To do it quickly in my head, I take the Celsius temperature x 2, subtract 10% and add 32

ie - 20 Celsius x 2 = 40 - 4 = 36 + 32 = 68 degrees Fahrenheit

Kilograms to pounds - kilograms x 2.2 - pounds (in round figures)
    ie 10 kg x 2.2 = 22 pounds. (exact would be 22.07396)
  • Krystyna
    I grew up with Celsius but now living in the states of course I'm using Fahrenheit;I have thermometer that has both on each side and when talking with someone in Europe I can refer to the temp's in C
  • charsocal
    Oh yes, I can see your point. Celsius is just so confusing for one that has never had to use it. You are very lucky enough to know to be able to read / know each of them.
  • frances turkel
    Cokeis very dangerous and if it wasn't a great money maker they would have to take it off the Market...Coke litteralytook the paint off my boyfriends car...!!! Now can you imagine what its doing to our stomack and other organs...for all your coke drinkers look at this and tel me if you still want awonderful chilling Coke!!!
  • J Zerbs
    Think you accidentally posted on the wrong topic, seems like you meant to post on the topic about Coca-Cola.

Fahrenheit makes more sense to me but that's probably because I'm from the US and have used Fahrenheit my whole life. I do think in measuring distances and volume the metric system makes more sense. Don't know why the U.S. doesn't use the metric system more, pretty much every other country in the world uses it.
  • godseeconomy
    Thanks, j zerbs, for the recall. I've forgotten it though I could always google to get the formula.
  • godseeconomy
    I was the reverse. I grew up with F, then C came in. I also have such thermometers scattered about in the house. I always check both readings. Whenever I'm in the States, I think in F only.
  • frances turkel
    I'm totally lost when it comes to all that stuff....
  • sascha
    Stop. Coke does not remove paint from a car BUT Coke, Pepsi, and &7Up among others like them have been used for decades to polish chrome on car bumpers. Also, I know for a fact that the US military has used grape Kool-Aid and Pepsi for decades to clean their ships. I, myself, have used Pepsi to clean chrome car bumpers. What most likely damaged the paint on the car is commercial car cleaner. You're not supposed to use ANYTHING but plain water to wash a vehicle on the outside. Even dish soap will reduce the life of a paint job. I know people that are obsessed with taking their cars to plays like Delta Sonic to wash their cars, but they are damaging the finish and the paint. It's just a fact. It's bad enough that cars have too few layers of paint ont hem as it is.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Univox Community!

Hello Members!
Welcome to Univox Community Forum. This forum has been created so that you can exchange ideas, converse and interact with Univox Community. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum category. Please do not use the forum for promotion or advertising. Irrelevant messages will be deleted straight away. Feel free to share your feedback.